• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

A Letter From Egypt

theshadow

Brummie babby
Hi All

Can anybody help i have this postcard sent by my Great Grandfather whilst in Egypt to his son my Grandfather the post mark shows 25 july 19.
What i cannot work out or find any info on is why he was there and what force he served with i have been lead to believe it was the Oxford & Bucks Light Infantry.

TheShadow :cool:

Last edited:
If you google "Oxford & Bucks Light Infantry in Egypt"

You get the following (Amongst other information)

2/4th - France and Flanders 26 May 16. Egypt and Palestine 2 June 19 to May 20.

So by the look of it he had only just been posted there

dibs

Hi
Thanks for that i have done this but i have just been told that this is just 1 of about 4 but nobody knows where the others went and they were all dated prior to this one so any more help would be great.

TheShadow :cool:

If you want to know why the British were there "Oil" :)

Feb 15, 1919 A note in which the French government formally accepted the amendment of the Sykes-Picot Agreement, according to which Mosul would have been under French rule and Palestine under a special international regime. French accepted that Mosul and Palestine being placed within the British sphere in return for the assignment of a substantial share of the Mosul oil to France and for British help in getting back the Alsace and Lorraine

See: https://www.users.cloud9.net/~recross/israel-watch/Chronology.html

If you want to know where the other battalions/Regiments? where see.

https://www.lightinfantry.org.uk/regiments/obli/ox_tl.htm

Other than that I am afraid I cannot help, only got the info from google, sorry.

Last edited:
Back