• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

A 'cut' above the rest?

wessex

master brummie
Last Sunday I went for a walk along the 'cut.
Started Richmond Rd Olton,got off and walked through some 'wilderness' that took me to Hay Mills.Brekkie in Asda,then bus to town.Round to Livery St,then back through a bit of Digbetgh,then bus home.

Amateur to the core,no fancy poses,but the type of reality our eyes witness every day,just as it happened.

My sister lives in Francis Rd,Acocks,last house,hence why I took a few extra pics of there from different angles.

w0w186wgttkl5gmf3i77.jpg

hpweodjpp3h7wflw8rv.jpg

lo6cdn7ngasyx54wzhe.jpg

xirmzne4f2injya4l2n.jpg

yc5gxwm640xhdr51hnu.jpg

nyt1b2lzxvyz6k7zi1kf.jpg

The beauty of a leisurely stroll along the canal is the people you meet.
The chap you can just make out sitting was a fisherman from Acocks.I stopped and had a great chat for quite a while,and saw him land a couple o' big 'uns.

d1cf2gutkasatm0gf1hz.jpg

ohy0a8j41emfstnj2jeu.jpg

o9etu6su4ga4wu4nl4zm.jpg

49h2bezp9d17n7pvtlfj.jpg

mdmfmkpmsngn6719mtgz.jpg

Views from the cut before I turned off,and lastly a look up the Cov Rd outside Asda looking towards Small Heath.

07e9ts59xkzbocluc4y4.jpg

jrly844e2otw99zi3g87.jpg

ovbyny9tbxmarqyljn7.jpg

otgds9f81pu508ahiar.jpg

Blimey Wessex, what memories that little lot has stirred up. When I was a kid (last week) Ha Ha we used to play in that cut and I have posted before on another thread that we used to swim from Lincoln Road near Lesters coal-yard all the way to Catherine De Barnes and back. I know it seems a long way for a child but we used to leave the water and play games like tig and hide and seek then swim some more. Todays parents would be horrified but we were taught common sense by our moms and dads. Great photos, great memories and great times.

Around the back of Moor St station.

1 - Grand Living,city centre style.

wnikh1i6wddirn2d886b.jpg

2 - The old making way for the new...that may never come at this rate lol.

2uhz6xnagrkhuejhvre4.jpg

3 - Peaceful graveyard for the 19th century's wealthy.

88dmk0qqzh3n3xcg2q1.jpg

4 - The old Fox and Grapes,and a factory waiting for the bulldozers.

f8imuxl678zgit2xmnl6.jpg

5 - 'the Good,the Bad,and the Ugly'....just forgot to put the good in lol.
The monstrosity that made even the old bull ring look good,and do we really need that sleeze hole of a cinema anymore?

gxtvyffp8ftmjb3bhnw.jpg

The polish memorial centre,and the white building next to the overgrown area used to be a stables.Told it's a listed building,but perhaps you know more about it?

Had to switch image host due to a problem.

Blimey Wessex, what memories that little lot has stirred up. When I was a kid (last week) Ha Ha we used to play in that cut and I have posted before on another thread that we used to swim from Lincoln Road near Lesters coal-yard all the way to Catherine De Barnes and back. I know it seems a long way for a child but we used to leave the water and play games like tig and hide and seek then swim some more. Todays parents would be horrified but we were taught common sense by our moms and dads. Great photos, great memories and great times.

Glad you liked 'em.

that bull ring monstrosity reminds me more of a spaceship....nice canal pics though...

lyn

Hello Stitcher,

My Dad and his brother were brought up on Oldknow Road, and they learned to swim in the 'cut'. They had to get fully dried before they
got home, but Mum always said have you two been in that canal again?

'What canal would that be Mum?' WHACK....

regards Neville..

that bull ring monstrosity reminds me more of a spaceship....nice canal pics though...

lyn

Thanks Lyn,with me you just get what I see,but the Selfridges bit was just an accident,what I wanted to show was my shock at seeing that sleezy cinema was still around.

What did you have for sunday lunch?

lyn

I got off the train in Brum last night, and thought the iconic Selfrides building looked very inpressive lit up in blue. sorry no photos.

Back