• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

9 Chesheley Street? Aston Birmingham

sylyal

proper brummie kid
My Great Grandfather lived at the above address in 1901, could anyone tell me where this was please?
Sylvia

I have re-looked at the original transcript on Ancestry 1901 census Source Citation: Class: RG13; Piece: 2867; Folio: 141; Page: 6. and it looks like Chisheley or Chesheley it is in the parish of St James Aston Duddeston.
The family name is Walter Long born 1872 Arrow Any other suggestions after others have looked it up would be grateful, Thanks for all the help so far Sylvia

Sylyal I think we may as Wendy says a miss transcription I think this may be Chicheley St just up the Vauxhall Rd from where I used to live it disappeared in the 60s this was only one St away from St James of the Lee Church. Dek

It shows as Chicheley Street on Find My Past and the street on the page before was Barrack Street, which comes up in a google search

Sorry Lindy it,s my spelling well it was from 50 years ago it,s how we pronounced it.Dek P.S I have edit it.

No problem Dek, :) the area seems to have changed quite a bit, looking at it on google now. Willis Street and St James Street have also disappeared and Great Brook Street looks a lot shorter because in the old map it used to meet Vauxhall Road. Has St James church disappeared too ?

Hello Lindy St James was bombed in the war parts of the graveyard are still there with some of the old headstones the whole area was demolished and all the people were move to different areas.Chicheley St was on a hill and we used it for our go-carts(4 old pram wheels and a couple of bits of wood) until we were told to"Clear off down yer own end". Dek

Once again, Thankyou so much you guys are fantastic, you come up trumps every time. Thankyou Lindy I have found it on the old map so know roughly where it was now.
My next question now is could there be any photos about of this area
Sylvia

Sylvia I have many photos of the area but I have never found any of Chicheley St or St James St.This is the only one I have seen its the bottom of Chicheley St were it meets the Vauxhall Rd you can just make out the Outdoor on the corner just past the van. Dek

Back