• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

8 Holly Terrace, Aston

moonraker66

Hi gang, I'm wondering if someone can help me out with a missing street identified in the 1901 Census: 8 Holly Terrace, Aston Parish, Deritend Ward, Birmingham. I assume the street was demolished. I have relatives James and Mary Holloway living there with their two children, Mildred and Harold. James worked as a toolmaker for the Ammunition Dept at BSA.
I also notice that the place of birth of their daughter, Mildred is listed as Boston, USA 1896, but they were clearly back in Aston by 1898 for the birth of their 2nd child. I couldn't find any trace of them emigrating to, or living in Boston at that time. I would be really grateful for any help with the missing street, and temporarily missing family.
Cheers, Colin

I think it is Conybere Street. If you look at the entries before and after that is the street. So Holly Terrace was a group of houses given that name but on Conyvere Street.
It is in Aston parish but in Deritend district and there is still a Conybere Street today but obviously very different.

As Mildred's birthplace is also Boston USA on 1911 census then it seems they must have been there.

also we have a thread for conybere st with a few old photos...one photo is taken in 1902 for the coronation and at the time james and family would have lived there..maybe they were on that photo

Last edited:
you may already know this but there is a marr for mildred martha holloway to a leslie j alexander 1919 worcs...looks like she is on the usa census 1920 and there is also a birth record for her in massachusetts usa..(you need the world wide subcription to ancestry to view those records) i have a death record for mildred martha alexander in birmingham 1932 age 36..it looks like mildreds husband leslie served during ww1 and his service records are on ancestry so you could download those records and print them off if you want...he died in 1959 birm aged 61...looks like son harold died in 1919 worc aged 20

lyn

Last edited:
This appears to normally be known as Holly Place. On the c1913 map below, Holly Place is marked in red

map c1913 showing Holly Place.jpg

I have found a possible sailing for James (and his brother edward) in 1895 but there is no sign of his wife at that point. Except it looks as if the majority of steerage passengers were men.

Attachments

• James and Edward 1895 USA.JPG
    James and Edward 1895 USA.JPG
    24.6 KB · Views: 3
  • SS Paris 1895.JPG
    SS Paris 1895.JPG
    68.6 KB · Views: 3
Last edited:
Back