• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

756 Coventry Road Small Heath

bob54

Brummie babby
My Grandma lived at this address 1895 to 1906 ish. She always said that she used to wake up to the smell of fresh baked bread from a local bakery. Has anybody an information that would shed some light on whether this could have been the case?

Not sure as to which part of the Cov this address was...but...there was a WIMBUSH bakery in little Green Lane which was very close to Coventry Road.....

Margaret.

It was around St Benedicts road, though that road wasn't there then. Can't find any baker/confectioner in that period nearer than a confectioner atno 555, which is on the opposite side of the road the other side of the park

756 Coventry Road is on the corner of Saint Benedicts Road; that's little short of a mile from the Coventry Road end of Green Lane. Houses on the Coventry Road in the vicinity of the old Wimbush's bakery are in the region of 300. David

I think my Grandparents, William Stanley and Kate Beatrice Southall were living at thi address in 1911.

Hi kathp
i lived at 868 coventry rd and also on the question of your relatives waking up to the smell of fresh bread the bakery was along the
coventry rd just past red hill rd it was not the smell from winbushes in green lane i am just trying to think of the bakery
also in the early years there was one just along from st benedicts rd a very small bakery it was just like a little house in fact i am sure it was
at the botom of st benedicts rd or just along from there but it most certainly not winbushes bakery they got the smell from i can assure you on that
also on the subject on your grt grt grand parents the southall family grew uparound there on the top end of coventry rd
whom i know very well and there father set up the firm of solicters called southalls whom later became well known in the legal proffession
and later became the big people of the system in the birmingham courtd and duty soliters for the courts
one of the sibblings named mike is a very dear old friend of mine the father lived in a muili big house with six tudor chimmneys on and the house
at one time many years ago in the sixtys was worth one and a half million christ only knows what it is worth today
best wishes astonion

There was a cake shop/bakery on the corner of Grange rd & Coventry rd, can't think of the name but my friends grandfather was night-watchman there & one evening he took us in & gave us a cake off the trolley but that must have been in the late 40's or earley 50's, 230 Coventry rd was by Greenway street

the father lived in a muili big house with six tudor chimmneys on and the house
at one time many years ago in the sixtys was worth one and a half million christ only knows what it is worth today
best wishes astonion
Hi Astonian, you must be talking about Grimshaw Hall in Hampton Lane Knowle.
Nick

Hi nick
yes thats the family one of the sons mike is a very good old friend of mine
he used to ride a motor bike many years ago he married a irish small heath girl whom i know very well and all all his family
they had a big office on the corner and the insurance just across the traffic lights on the cov rd
mike was living in little aston estate suton coldfield years ago spent many hours drinking in there homes with he best brandy money could buy
and week ends they was big wigs in the courts and great frinds of the fabers i hve not spoke with mike for a couple of years now
since i moved to worcester but i haveanother friend whom we related and passes some messages to me
there father and the grt grndfather all grew up thecov in the smal heath area best wishes nick astonion

hi katyp
nice to know that you are mikes cousin did you ever go to his house in little aston estate sutton coldfield
do you remember his house keeper and live in nanny nice girl she was i just cannot remember her name when did his father pass away kate

they are both down to earth people one day mike bought an leave gatherer from B AND Q AND HE SHAS TO ASKED ME TO ASSEMBLE IT FOR HIM BECAUSE HE COULD NOT DO IT SELF
MIKE IS A VERY PROFFESSIONAL PERSON IN EVERY MANNOR BUT HE CANNOT DO PRATICAL THINGS OF DIY IM AFRAID
KATY DO YOU EVER SEE THEM OFTEN OR NOT I HAVE NOT SEEN MIKE FOR A COUPLE OF YEARS NOW THE LAST TIME WE MET WAS AT THE CAR BOOT IN HAMS HALL
WITH SHARON AND THE KIDS DO YOU REMEMBER WHERE YOUR GRAND FATHERS OFFICE WAS IN SMALL HEATH
WHERE HE STARTED THE BUSSINESS UP FOR HIMSELF AND THE FAMILY AND NEXT TO A CLUB HOUSE AND FOR SOME REASON MIKE ALWAYS SPENT LONG HOURS
DURING HIS LUNCH BREAK YOU MAY KNOW WHY LIKE ME IF YOU GET MY DRIFT
WELL KATE ITS NICE TO KNOW WHOM I WAS SPEAKING TO ON THIS FORUM TAKE CARE AND I WISH YOU AND ALL OF YOU AND THE SOUTHALL FAMILY AND OF COURSE
EVERY FORUM MEMBER A HAPPY AND HEALTHY AND PROSPEROUS CHRISTAMS AND A NEW YEAR TO COME PLEASE BEST WISHES ASTONION ALAN

Happy Christmas to you as well. Mikes Dad and mine were part of a family of 11 and so I have 30 plus cousins! Sadly as time has gone by families scatter and I am only in touch with a few cousins now which is a shame but that's probably how it is with large families. I probably haven't seen Mike since his Dad's funeral in 2000.

Hi kath
many thanks for coming back on and letting me know on the forum when your grand father died i thought it ws around that time
i had met your grand father and grand mother quite afew times around at mikes and of course in the office
they was really nice people and i thnk it was around 2005 that i last spoke with sharon and mike
my other friend and myself was only disgussing mike a couple of weeks ago and how and when we last seen him
but any way there is alot of people remember your grand father and had respect for him even from his younger days
and from he first started up in bussiness the southalls are well respected by the legal system of this city and they will never e forgotten
they was apart of the high society and alot of top proffessional people in this city of birmingham remember all of your family
that i can assure you take care best wishes astonion alan

Back