• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

75 new street

Astoness

TRUE BRUMMIE MODERATOR
Staff member
hi folks...could someone please post a map showing where 75 new st would have been situatated in the early 1900s

many thanks

lyn:)

Lyn
I take it you mean New St in the centre, not newtown erdington or smethwick. I'm pretty sure that it was as marked in red on the map . Your picture on the other thread must have been taken before 1904, as from that date the property is described in directories as Central house (googling name that gives lots on ATV !!) which is listed as having 4 floors. From 1872 to 1900 it is listed as S H Rudge , saddle maker, but it is William Wood , saddle & harness maker from at least 1841 to 1868. I would have thought the new owners would have painted over the old name pretty quickly, so the photo is older than you thought.
Mike

map_75_new_st.jpg

Back