• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

50 YEARS AGO TODAY

Peter Walker

gone but not forgotten
In conversation earlier today I realised that 50 years ago, the dates and days matched, so that 8 February was a Wednesday. So I just looked in my old 1956 diary, and this is what it tells me.
I had started work in the City Architect's Department five months before and my first job was to supervise the construction of an old people's home (it was officially called an Aged Persons' Home at the time) at Serpentine Road, Selly Oak. Building started about the time I joined, so there was not much more to do on that. I also did some detailed work in the Council House, one of the jobs being to work up a design to include a lift to give access to the first floor of the Museum and Art Gallery. Some people wanted to block off part of the impressive portico, which would have been criminal, and the only alternative that wasn't impossibly expensive was to tack on a shaft in the courtyard, which was not popular. I don't know what happened in the end. I also had just become involved in an interesting project to update the official plan for the Civic Centre redevelopment, which had been adopted before the war and might have gone down better in Nazi Germany, Fascist Italy or Communist Russia. It is interesting to see what has taken place since then - first the Repertory Theatre, which was designed by my old tutor Graham Winteringham.
That day, 8 February, I went to work that day on the No. 5 Perry Common bus to Victoria Square, or perhaps the odd No. 7 Portland Road bus which stopped right opposite the Hall of Memory and the 'Civic Centre', where I worked. I had an appointment later that day with Bill Hinder of the Welfare Department, to discuss a few details on the new old people's home, in particular to resolve a problem about a boundary wall - I cannot recall the details now.
My mother had been taken into Dudley Road Hospital again on the previous Saturday, and after a makeshift tea at home I went to see her (I have a feeling the evening visiting time was 8 to 8.30). After that I went to St Thomas' Schools in Granville Street, where the Birmingham Model Railway Club met on Wednesdays, mainly to adjourn with my mates to the Gough Arms later, probably for a few rounds of 'liar dice' which we played for matchsticks. In those days the Gough was an Ansell's House, but the last time I went in in the early 1980s it was rsupplied by Courage.
The previous day after work I went to the Midland Institute where I sang bass or tenor as needed in the Birmingham Singers choir, which at that time I think was conducted by Tom Hancock, and my dad did the
accompaniment. Having time to spare, I then got a day return rail ticket from Moor Street to Acocks Green, used it
as far as Tyseley, where I walked around, gettting to Acocks Green and returning to town im time to meet my
girl friend Mary who did pottery classes at the College of Art until 8.30. We then went to Joe Lyons in Victoria Square, after which we got a 16A or 29 bus from Bull Street to 'The Village', Lozells, where she lived.
Next day I was to go to the Scala in Smallbrook Street to see 'Girl in a Red Velvet Swing'.

It would be interesting to see other people's recollections, not necessarily that long ago.

Peter, how I wished I had kept a diary faithfully over the years as you have done, it would be wonderful to be able to refer to it for places and people only half remembered. I did go to see "The girl on a red velvet swing" at the Scala though if I remember right our Joan Collins was the star, and it was a "bio-pic".

32 YEARS AGO TODAY

A Very Shortened Story

I got up a little late and had an haircut, thats the last time I visited a barbers!! I then set to drinking a bottle of Brandy with two of my three brothers. I then dressed in my poshest clothes, especially purchased for the day. A taxi arrived and took me and my best mate and I met my Bride To Be, Brenda........... We were married in a little church, St Marks on Bleak Hill by the Rev Hancock. The reception followed, it was short but sweet for us because we had to catch a train to Prestatyn where we had our honeymoon. Because of the time of year trains were very hit and miss, we spent hours waiting for a connection at Crewe.........We had special permission to use a caravan out of season at Greenacres Caravan Park in Gronant. We spent our first evening as a married couple firstly eating Turkey Drumsticks with Baked Beans :2funny: and then it twas to bed for an early night :eek: ::)

:smitten: I love you Bren :smitten:

February means a different thing to me I hope you dont mind me saying it this way

Rose of February
I do recall the red rose of February
Lying there on my Mothers breast
Just a body as her soul had left us
Sixteen Valentines have now passed
And still that rose is my thorn
Bringing pain with its sharp barb
The sadness of my Moms photograph
That can’t say I love you son
Arms that can’t give me a warm embrace
Yes I do recall February of yester year
Those sixteen lost Valentines

:angel:
February 16th my Dad's birthday. A man remembered with LOVE.
Angela was born at 00.03am (12.03) on the 17th of February 1971 (It was 12.03pm on the 16th of Feb in the UK).
February 23 1989
That was the day my first Grandchild my Granddaughter Alicia.‚.. died. (S.I.D.S: Sudden Infant Death Syndrome).

Chris had already told me about the loss of her Grandaughter..
She's not only my friend but a tough old cookie with a wonderful caring centre..
You will hug her in Heaven Chris..

50 years ago today was Tuesday 28 February, but 50 years ago tomorrow (which will be 1 March) was Wednesday 29 February, because 1956 was a leap year. I spent most of Tuesday 50 years ago copying out the Corporation coat of arms [almost the same one that has given John H so mkuch grief recently] on a drawing for the Civic Centre Redevelopment scheme. and went in the canteen for lunch and a quick tea before gioing to the Midland Institute for another practice of the Birmingham Singers from 5.30 to 7pm. Then a little while in the Technical Library before going to Dudley Road Hospital, where my mum had been for weeks. Somebody gave me a lift to Perry Barr afterwards and I got a 33 bus home.
The previous Monday evening I had been to one of the weekly lectures we had that term at the University in Edmund Street on Birmingham transport history - this one was on the Midland Red. There were a number of well-known speakers, like Alec Jenson, C R Clinker, Charles E Lee and Charles Dunbar. The Birmingham Transport Historical Group was set up more or less as a result of these lectures, and still exists, although it is not as active as it was 40 years ago, when they did a vast amount of research on local transport history. It's almost all been done now, of course. But every now and again an old photograph or document turns up to prove someone was wrong!
Peter

YOUR TENACIOUS RESILIENCE REGARDING THE MEETINGS AND TRANSPORT SEGUEYS EVENTUALLY THE POTTERY RELAY TO LOZELLS.... IS ASTONISHING (was that an everage day?) - I DON'T KNOW WHAT YOURSELF (AND YOUR GALFRIEND) ATE BUT IT CERTAINLY AGREED WITH YE.

Q: WHAT, IN RETROSPECT - ASSUMING YOU HAVE NOT EXPUNGED THE DIARY ENTRIES - DID YOU MAKE OF SUCH AS THE B REP AND SO ON AND SO FORTH AND SO SUBSEQUENTLY AS EVENTUATION?
WHAT WERE THE DESIGN (PLAN) OPTIONS - OR WAS IT SUPERIMPOSED (THE REDEVELOPMENT).
IT IS NOT COMMONLY KNOWN THE REDESIGN WAS SLATE PRIOR TO WW II. BRITAIN WAS IN AN ACUTE ECONOMIC SLUMP PRIOR TO WW II.
DO YOU KNOW WHO INSTIGATED THE REDEVELOPMENT AND WHAT WAS ENVISIONED?
WHO WAS TO FINANCE SUCH?
HOW DID WHAT OBTAINED DIFFER FROM WHAT WAS ENVISIONED?

(MUSSOLINI'S JOB IS SURELY MORE USER FRIENDLY THAN THE 1960S B RING?)

HOW DIFFERENT ARE THE PLANS YOU SURVEYED TO THE SCHEME WHICH OBTAINED?

WHAT WAS YOUR PERCEPTION OF VISIONARY GENIUS OF THE PLANNING CROWDS?

WHAT INPUT WAS SOLICITED FROM THE DENIZENS?

WHAT WAS THE RESULT OF SUCH - IF ANYTHING?

DID YOU GIVE FORTH AT THE B&MI ON PARADISE THERE THE SQUARE AND IF SO WHAT DID YOU MAKE OF ITS DEMISE?

AND SO ON AND SO FORTH.

GORGEOUS ENTRY WHICH MUST SURELY BE TAKEN LITERALLY - ASSUMING YOU DID NOT CONCOCT SUCH FOR A POST POTTERY
REPAST.

SPLENDID.

;)

Thank you kindly, HLMD for your last message, which has me breathless and a bit flummoxed. I could never understand all those questions, let alone answer them.
I will swear, so help me, that what I wrote last night was a truthful interpretation (looked at for moreorless the first time for 50 years) of the notes I used to scribble in those days. Never mind whar we ate, it was mostly in the Civic Centre canteen, the British Restaurants, Joe Lyons and the Kardomah. The Indian and Chinese restauaurants did really get going until 1957.
I think you have brought out one big issue which would need a series of books to deal with individual questions, like, (1) who decided what to demolish our heritage and replace it with such rubbish; (2)how did they come to that decision; (3) who paid; (5) who let them do it, and (6) what do they think about it now, if they are still around?.
I was guilty for quite a lot of dreadful building in the 1950s and 60s, and I am very aware of it. Most of it has been demolished now.
To be more cheerful, we had some marvellous times, and still have fantastic memories.
Peter

One of the very few days I do remember exactly what I was doing. Not quite 50 years, but 49.

I had my hair done, went to see one of the ladies who sold flowers in Snow Hill. Packed my suitcase, and had an early night. Saturday 2nd March was our wedding day :)

Re: 49 YEARS AGO TODAY

Happy Anniversary, Di
You're just over three years in front of us. It's amazing how a few words spoken in a few seconds can bring a whole family into this world. I hope you have a lovely day!
All the very best!
Peter

Back