• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

5 sunny mount tower street

Astoness

TRUE BRUMMIE MODERATOR
Staff member
just wondered if its possible to determine which end of tower st this address was...my grandad was born there in 1903...this is all that is on his birth cert..

thanks for any help...

lyn

Lyn
The entrance is by no 8 tower st on the north side between Gt Russell st & hospital st,. I'm pretty sure *it fits position and no of houses) it is the red terrace
Mike
PS The first map was incorrect. i have replaced it
Mike

tower_st_c_1890_sunny_mount.jpg

Last edited:
me again mike...would back of 26 tower st also be on that map...it used to be called laurel court...

thanks mike...

lyn i can see it myself, its by the r and the e in street,thats the lights pub on the corner, your folks were just over the back of my grans.
how good is that.

well i will go to the foot of our stairs lynne..no wonder we have a lot in common..yet another street we share...what year was your gran there...

then depending on how long my grandad was there lynne they could have been neighbours and guess what...i have only just realised that about 18 months back i went to the archives at the central library and found 3 or 4 pics of tower st..i think they were the courts not the fronts..so after going through all the rigmarole of signing forms to get permission to take pics of them when i got back home and put them on me lap top they were rubbish..reason being i used my cheap camera...if i can find the time im going back up on wednesday with a better one to retake the pics...

lyn

dont worry lynne..if i can get to the library i shall hunt them down for us....cant beleive i have only just remembered about them...must be me age..lol

Hi Lyn and Lynne,what a coincidence this is,on the 1901 census my grandmother was living at No2-7Court which i think was at the rear of 26 Tower Street.Moss.

oh crikey..how good is this...mike maybe able to sort this out for you lynne and moss with his maps but even if it was not the same house it looks like both of your rellies lived back of 26..

lyn

hi mike...i wonder if you could show us on one of your maps where no 2 court 7 ....and 2 back of 26 tower st is please..lynne and moss think that they may have been the same house..

thanks for any help mike it would be amazing if both moss and lynnes rellies both lived in the same house...not at the same time of course..lol

lyn

Lyn and Lynne
Apologies. I made an error in my assignment of sunny mount earlier. I have put the correct c 1890 map in now and also put it below to answer your later question with a c 1914 map. (Truth is I was counting the wrong way !! )
On the new map sunny mount is in red , as before, but in a different place. It looks as if there were some changes between 1890 and 1914 (when the map is dated), as can be seen from the 1890 map compared (sunny mount again in red), particularly where the terrace was accessed from.
With regards to court 7, this is in green. It is often not clear which are houses and which not in these largish courts. I assume the immediate back houses were included in the court . No 26 is marked in red. In 1920 there were 17 houses listed in court 7.
Again , sorry for the mistake
Mike

sunny_mount_no_26_and_court_7_tower_st_c_1913.jpg

tower_st_c_1890_sunny_mount.jpg

thanks mike that is my grans yard,all of the houses had gardens and i can see the brewhouses and the toilets.
i hope moss can confirm that his is the same court.
Many thanks lynne..

mike dont worry about it we are all so grateful to you for helping with the locations..i for one would never get my bearing without your maps..its interesting to not the gun and pistol works on the map...of course we were not far from the gunquarter so not surprising...

lyn

Thank's for the map Mike.Sorry Lynne i dont remember my gran living there,when i was a lad she lived in New John Street West.Moss.

Back