• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

46 Alma Street

Severned

Hello

Anyone remember my Dad Edward (Teddy Rose) who lived at 46 Alma Street with his Mom and Dad and sisters Beryl and Rita? He was born in 1923 and his two life long friends were Norman Groves (Who fell of his pushbike and was in leg irons for the rest of his life) and Les Stevens? I think they both came from Summer Lane?
Have tried this one before a while but no luck then so thought I would have another try.
Dad died in November 2007 but told many tales of his childhood in his later life.
He talked about a chap who wore white gloves all of the time who was nicknamed 'Posh Price'.
Would be great to hear from anyone one who new my dad when he was a lad
Eddie Rose

hi eddie..the only pic i have is of a family standing outside num 27 alma st in 1932....i used to go to school with a sandra rose...

lyn

hi severned
i can recall a teddy rose it certainly rings bells to me
and old les stevenswas a long turn committee
member at the old ward end ex service club in ward end
i haven,t seenor heard of them in donkeys years
and old posh used to drive a dark green
triumph hearld motor car many years ago
haven,t seen him about either ,
astonian ;;;

Are we talking Alma St, Aston or Alma St Vauxhall. I lived at 27 Alma st Vauxhall.

Have a nice day, Wally.

Hi Severned

Not being an ex resident of Aston or Alma Street I don't know whwre 46 was, Alma Crescent Nechells was nearer to me.

I do however have a couple of photos of Alma Street that you may be able to see no 46 on, but as I say you would know that better than me.

Phil

Attachments

• Aston Royal Exchange Aston High St 1956.jpg
    Aston Royal Exchange Aston High St 1956.jpg
    84.3 KB · Views: 10
  • Aston Alma Street 1953.jpg
    Aston Alma Street 1953.jpg
    273.6 KB · Views: 14
  • Aston Alma Street 1960 .jpg
    Aston Alma Street 1960 .jpg
    85.4 KB · Views: 13
  • Aston Dewdrop Stores Outdoor Alma Street.JPG
    Aston Dewdrop Stores Outdoor Alma Street.JPG
    81.3 KB · Views: 11
hi guys
i hope you do not mind could sombody tell me what number of alma street aston was charles henry jelf was living at or there business adress
i beleive there was a booking office and a tea room , [cafe
during the twentys or the early thirties years
would be very grateful on this if some-one can the time
many thanks astonian ;;

Astonian

Listed in the 1937 Kelly's Trade Directory. I would think on the corner of Gerrard Street or close to it.

91 Jelf Hy. Chas. coffee ho
...​
here is Gerrard st

Phil

Back