• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

38 New Summer Street

ima poster

Hello. My Great Aunt and her husband lived at 38 New Summer Street until at least 1932 but had moved on by the 1939 census. James and Emma Gould were their names - he was a wire weaver and she was a grocer by the later years. In 1939 the premises were still classed as a grocer. Would this have been an 'open all hours' type shop on the street or more like barrow trading? Interested in any information or photos really. Makes a change from most of my relatives who lived in the back courts of the city. Thanks!

There are some photos of the old Unity Club here which I think was in the vicinity, not sure if you quite get a glimpse of no. 38...

Here's a map from 1950, sadly it appears no. 38 had been demolished...

0 - New Summer St.jpg

Last edited:
the pub on the corner of new summer st and summer lane was the bulls head..here is a photo of it showing the 5 houses next to it but sadly no 38 has gone and a factory built on its site but at least you have an idea of what the houses looked like

lyn

bulls head new summer st and summer lane.jpg

I linked to that photo originally Lyn thinking the OP wanted no. 39 instead of no. 38, so I think it's the wrong (all odd) side.

I linked to that photo originally Lyn thinking the OP wanted no. 39 instead of no. 38, so I think it's the wrong (all odd) side.
oops sorry mark at least the photo shows the other side of the street...will see if i have anymore...i thought we had a thread for new summer st so will check

lyn

Not easy to work out but I think the last building standing is no. 40, you can just see the gates of the internal passageway to the left of that building. Buildings to the right are possibly part court 49 or 50 of Summer Lane (see above 1950s map). No. 38 sadly demolished by this time, new buildings not yet built.

Here's a map from 1889, green dot is I think no. 38 and pink line is no.40...

0 - New Summer St.jpg

Back