• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

3 Violet Place, Ladywood - 1881 or thereabouts

sospiri

GONE BUT NOT FORGOTTEN
This is probably one for Mikejee as he's so good at nailing down these obscure places and terraces.

I suspect it might also have been called 31 Court and was somewhere at the back of 34 Clark Street.

From the census images, the order of these various places is 34 Clark Street, Victoria Terrace, Primrose Place, Violet Place, and Victor Place.

Whilst in that area, can I be greedy and ask you please to pinpoint 56 Sherborne Street, which was the business address and house of William Shepherd/Sheppard, haulier, until about 1945. I believe it was somewhere in the vicinity of the Steam Clock. When I was last in that area, getting on for ten years ago, it was tipping it down with rain and one of the construction workers there told me I had missed its demolition by a couple of months! :-(

Many thanks,

Maurice

Marace
Having some trouble exactly determining 56 Sherborne st . It does seem to be close to the Steam clock, but will perservere tomorrow. couldn't find any mention of violet place, but have marked court 31 (which is just behind no 34) in blue on the map below
Mike

map_1889_clark_st__court_31.jpg

Thanks very much, Mike, that was very kind of you.

All I know about 56 was that at one time the family occupied both 54 and 56. There were also some houses at the back of 54 that took a direct hit in WW2, and accordingly to the Casualties List in Central Library, either 2 or 3 people were killed. I presume there was some sort of a yard with 56 as they were operating a haulage business from there for many years. Until 1911 the business was owned by John G. Pickering and it then passed to his son-in-law, William Henry Sheppard, who ran it from there with his son until they moved to Linchmere Road towards the end of the war.

Maurice

Back