• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

229 Somerville Road, Small Heath?

RayJones4

proper brummie kid
This is from an unidentified group & the possibility of Mansel House being at 229 Somerville Road (corner with Mansel Rd), Small Heath has been raised. It was a drapers in 1911/1921 but I cannot see a reference to a Mansel House in directories etc The brickwork & windows seem to be a reasonable match but it is not a typical Brummie shopfront.453862591_2577818739068978_6029343879512878914_n.jpg

would say it is ...in your photo look at the door follow it up and above where it say mansel house is a large blank space for what i would think is for an advert..now look at todays st view..above the door is a large space that says manville stores...take into account the alterations over the years but my guess is your location is right but i stand to be corrected

lyn

Would have loved that shop. Looks like lace collars in the right-hand windows and possibly net/lace curtains, ribbons, binding, hankies, gloves etc on the left. So, yes, must have been a drapers/haberdashery shop, but sold seasonal things like Christmas cards etc.

Pullers of Perth were dyers in Scotland and 'By appointment' so my guess is that the shop sold fabrics of quality too.

Screenshot_20240803_170627_Google.jpg

Last edited:
A while after your dates Ray, but by in 1943 it was owned by Arthur Rushton, when upon his death, the property was auctioned. It looks like he was renting out this and other properties.

In 1952 Mr Ernest William Cotten was resident ar #229, and was awarded a temporary transfer of the licence of The Roebuck in Warwick.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240803_173213_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20240803_173213_Chrome.jpg
    141.5 KB · Views: 2
  • Screenshot_20240803_172536_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20240803_172536_Chrome.jpg
    190.5 KB · Views: 2
would say it is ...in your photo look at the door follow it up and above where it say mansel house is a large blank space for what i would think is for an advert..now look at todays st view..above the door is a large space that says manville stores...take into account the alterations over the years but my guess is your location is right but i stand to be corrected

lyn

Well I think it is too & the evidence that it was called Mansel House seems conclusive but it would be great to find a confirming image. Its not my image by the way - posted on behalf of another.

Last edited:
Back