• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

2/5th Btn Royal Warwickshire Regiment

longton100

Brummie babby
Hi everyone

No. 2242 and 200382

I am researching my Grandfather Charles Henry Eagles who was in the Royal Warwickshire Regiment (Territorial Force) until 04 April 1918 when he was discharged because of wounds. I have recently discovered his battalion no. was 2/5th 2nd line - from this information does anyone know where in France he went or any other information about his whereabouts please?

Thanks for looking.

Merry Christmas

Hi Longton.
Is this your man. [TABLE="class: table tableHorizontal"]
[TR]
[TH]Name:
[/TH]
[TD]Charles H Eagles
[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TH]Military Year:
[/TH]
[TD]1914-1918
[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TH]Rank:
[/TH]
[TD]Corporal
[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TH]Medal Awarded:
[/TH]
[TD]Territorial Force War Medal
[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TH]Regiment or Corps:
[/TH]
[TD]Royal Warwickshire Regiment
[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TH]Regimental Number:
[/TH]
[TD]200382
[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TH]Previous Units:
[/TH]
[TD]2242. Pte. 2/5th Bn. R. War. R.
[/TD]
[/TR]
[/TABLE]

You can find his records on Ancestry.

I am unable to send you the Medal index card or the British War Medal and Victory Medal. But you can see them on Ancestry2/5th Battalion
Formed in Birmingham in October 1914 as a second line battalion. Became part of 2nd Warwickshire Brigade, 2nd South Midland Division.
August 1915 : redesignated as 182nd Brigade, 61st (2nd South Midland) Division.
Landed in France on 21 May 1916.
20 February 1918 : disbanded in France..

Thanks I have the above information from Ancestry, so have all the documents, thanks.

The link to the 1914-1918 website is what I'm after I think, I can hopefully find out where his battalion was.

cheers.

As you can see from the Silver War Badge list he enlisted on 13 March 1914. Five months before the start of WW1. Therefore he must have enlisted into the 5th Battalion Royal Warwickshire Regt.

When the the 2nd Line Territorials were raised in October 1914 the 5th Bn became the 1/5th and the new battalion became the 2/5th.

A nucleus of trained men from the 1/5th transferred into 2/5th and C H Eagles seems to be one of them that transferred.

There will be a copy of the war diary at the Museum in Warwick

Terry

Attachments

• Eagles C H 2-5 RWR.jpg
    Eagles C H 2-5 RWR.jpg
    105.3 KB · Views: 17
Back