• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

1st. Birmingham Battalion

• Thread starter Thread starter Ann B
  • Start date Start date
A

Ann B

A relative sent me this photograph and wondered if it may be of interest. The quality is not very good, but perhaps someone can improve it. All my relative knows is that it is noted to be a photograph of the 1st. Birmingham City Battalion in training before going off to France.

Ann

Thank you Tom.
Don't know why, but at the moment I can't click on your posting to see it.

Ann

It might have something to do with the programme I use Ann ?as I cant either try this time:) I cant enhance anymore without losing definition:(

Last edited:
Working this time. Thanks Tom. There is little definition to start with, so I guessed it would be tricky to bring up.

Ann

The photograph is a group of men from the 3rd Birmingham Battalion taken between Jan to March 1915 when they were training at Moseley College. You can make out the building in the background and compare it with the one I have uploaded.

They are wearing the Kitchener Blue uniforms. Khaki cloth was in short supply for a period and needed for men going on active service. The City battalions had another 6 months or more training period before serving abroad.

Terry

Terry,

Thank you for that. I can see from the photograph, you have posted of Moseley College, that it is the same place. My relation thought it was the 1st. Battalion, as that was the regiment her grandfather, Harold Stanley Fleming (no. 568) was in. His brother, George Leslie Fleming (no. 16690), who died in Mesopotamia 28th January 1917 was in the 9th. Battalion Royal Warwickshires.
I see a Kevan Darby is mentioned on the forum. My relation wondered who he was. As she put George Leslie Fleming on the BBB WW1 memory wall, and Kevan Darby added a newspaper photograph of him. Is he someone that also researches the Birmingham Battalions do you know?
I'll send your photographs on to my relation. I'm sure she will be pleased to know the location.

Ann

Hi Ann

Kevan Darby researches the 9th Royal Warwicks. I can give you his contact details via a PM if you want. My speciality is the Birmingham Battalions and in 1997 ihad a book published called 'Birmingham Pals'. However, I do like to research all the battalions of the Royal Warwicks that served in WW1.

Regards

Terry

Hi Terry,

If you can PM the contact details for Kevan Darby, I can pass them on to my relative. She mentioned him in her last email, and wondered if she could find him. So that's a strike of luck. If you say the men in the photograph are the the 3rd Birmingham Battalion, does that mean that her grandfather, Harold Stanley Fleming, who was in the 1st Battalion, can not be on the photograph? Or could he have changed battalions?
I'll tell her about your book 'Birmingham Pals'.
Thank you for your help.

Ann

Hi Ann

I have a Sidney Bertram Fleming, no.568 serving with the 3rd B'ham Bn. but I may have his first and middle name wrong in my list.

Thats because he is listed in the B'ham Daily Post wounded list as H S Fleming, 568. Has your friend got anymore info such as her grandfather's medals with his number on.

It will help me put my own records straight

Terry

Hi Terry,

Thank you for the contact details. I'll pass it on to my relation.
Sidney Bertram Fleming was the brother of Harold Stanley Fleming (cousins of my grandmother). But Sidney was in the RGA Reg. No. 120633, so their details must have got mixed up. Here are the brothers Medal Cards and a photograph of Harold Stanley in uniform. I wonder which one was wounded then.
Hope this helps with your records.

Ann

Back