• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

1st Battn. Grenadier Guards 1914

GeorgieG

master brummie
Can anyone help please with more information on my Gt Uncle Jack.

Private John Walter Tolley (Jack)
Regiment No 15827
1st Battn of the Grenadier Guards.

Killed 7.11.1914
Buried in Zantvoorde New British Cemetery.
4½ miles South East of Ypres.

Casualty Form states:
Killed in action In the Field.

Where?/ can I find out the field? Was this the 1st Battle of Ypres?

His mother (my Gt Grandmother) received his medal....
14 Star

Does anyone have a photograph of what this medal looks like please?

I found his grave a few years ago... went on 11th November, it was a tremendous day as after finding the grave we went to the Menin Gate...

Many thanks to anyone that can hellp. Georgie

Yes, it was at First Ypres. Zantvoorde is a few miles south east of the town.

Pic of the medals: https://www.1914-1918.net/grandad/themedals.htm (I show a 1914-15 Star there but they were almost identical bar the year)

Next time you are in Brum, pop into the local history section of the Central Library. They have a copy of the 1914 British Official History - Military Operations - France and Flanders (volume 2 is the one you need). It explains what the battalion were doing during the battle.

Chris.....thank you very much for all the information. Maybe I can track the book : 1914 British Official History - Military Operations - France and Flanders (volume 2) somewhere else... as I live in Cornwall and very rarely get to Birmingham now. Georgie

Back