• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

1940s 1" OS mapping of England and Wales

• Thread starter Thread starter mstephens
  • Start date Start date
M

mstephens

Might be of interest to know that the National Library of Scotland has postwar OS 1" mapping of England and Wales superimposed onto current Google satellite images here

https://geo.nls.uk/maps/newpopular/google.html

(interestingly they don't have the same for Scotland but I suspect thats because the satellite imagery is patchy north of the border rather than any lack of maps)

Thank you for the link which I have added to my favourites, which since I joined this forum is getting longer and longer.The map appears to be post WW2 but does not show WD facilities that I know of. A good addition to my referance sites.

Arkrite
Up to quite recently (well 20-30 years) i don't think any items thought to be "of interest to the enemy" were shown on OS maps. you could look on a map at a very empty piece of countryside, but, if you went to it, there was a very big factory there. even railway lines disappeared in a few cases.
Mike

Thanks Mikejee, memory loss again and being spoiled by Google Earth and such like. So much more information available I forget how things were. Mind you if the "enemy" had a British accent and was buying the beer I doubt he would have much problem finding what he wanted.You dont see Nuns in boots with snow on 'em in pubs these days.:cool:

I know the odd parachutist but their dress is their own business.

Last edited:
Back