• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

1934 Goads map of Great Western Arcade and around

davidfowler

Exiled Brummie
When I went to the Central Library I copied this map. I did it in A3 sizes but have scanned it into my computer as A4 as I can't do A3. Interestingly they've Titled it as "Section of North Western Arcade" but even on my Godfrey map from 1912 it's shown as the "Great Western Arcade".
Hopefully these images will be of interest to some of you. There are 10 in total but they do overlap due to my scanning. I'll post them in 2 parts.

David, this map is very interesting and I have copied it ready to paste. It is really fascinating to see this area in such detail. Thanks for posting it.

Judy

That's a really good map David. Thanks for posting it. I haven't looked at it carefully Will print it out and then stick it together.
mike

A lovely detailed map, thank you David.
Have you got the bottom right hand corner please? Corporation St / Cherry St junction?

Glad you all like it, I did it partly for my Uncle who worked at Lewis's.
Lloyd, sorry I don't have the bottom right. I ran out of change when I was in the Library.:rolleyes:
Still I'll be back on Sat morning before our meeting at The Bartons Arms so will try to take sufficient bits of silver!

What incredible maps those are, David!I assume they were done by the Corporation Water Department as a record for their office staff to know where their supply pipes and access manholes were, and what foundation walls to expect if they were asked for a price for making a connecytion through them. The serial numbers just outside the properties appear to be the house numbers, and the the low numbers just inside the properties seem to show the thickness of the walls below ground level - for example, 1-brick is 9 inches, 2-brick is 18 inches, while 21/2-brick is 221/2 inches. Wonderful detail in those maps. Thanks a lot.
Peter

Peter, not sure but as I'll be back at the Library on Sat morning I'll ask for you and let you have the answer for a pint!;)

Mikejee,
Thanks for your explanation - so it was a commercial fire insurance company that produced those maps - this explains why the maps show the overall height of the buildings and the lantern lights on the roof. But in that case I don't see why they had to show the thickness of the walls below ground level.
Peter

Here's the last corner of the big map. I made sure I had LOADS of 10's and 20's yesterday.
Lloyd, especially for you!

Back