• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

1911 census

Davenport

master brummie
I haven’t come across this before on a 1911 census.
Total children born alive 7. IMG_5742.jpeg
4 Children alive. 3 Children died. However the 3 children had died before the census, Ivy 1903, Henry 1906 and Rose in 1909.

I've seen it before and also when all the children are listed though they've grown up and live elsewhere.

The first time the householder had to fill in their own census and not all of them understood what was being asked I think.

Another one appears to be listing all pregnancies (including miscarriages).

That is something I noticed as soon as the 1911 census became available to view.

It has certainly helped with my research when looking for descendants of families.

William.

That is something I noticed as soon as the 1911 census became available to view.

It has certainly helped with my research when looking for descendants of families.

William.

you must have been lucky william as i must have viewed thousands of 1911 census and to date i have never seen the names of children that have died before the census was taken actually written down

lyn

On one 1911 census they have Leah as 8 ...but she was born 03 and died 04...it does say one dead child but everyone who went before ( and put her on their tree) didnt see this and listed her as alive.......I knew this couldnt be true as the parents named another girl Leah and I had met her and knew she was born after the 1911 census.

Attachments

• download (12).png
    download (12).png
    377.2 KB · Views: 4
On one 1911 census they have Leah as 8 ...but she was born 03 and died 04...it does say one dead child but everyone who went before ( and put her on their tree) didnt see this and listed her as alive.......I knew this couldnt be true as the parents named another girl Leah and I had met her and knew she was born after the 1911 census.

and if you notice leahs name is crossed out on the census so just an error

Yes but because Leah was on later voting lists people assumed this was the same one and I had to explain the one died and the other was born later.

I've just had a quick look at some of the 1911 censuses I have saved and I've come across 4 that have dead children listed. All have been crossed out, 2 appear to be by the person filling in the census but the other 2 by someone else. The official who collected the censuses maybe?

And another 2.

The answers to the whole section about marriage and children on the 1911 census are rife with errors, some accidental some deliberate.

The most common error appears to be listing the answers next to the husband rather than the wife.

Other errors are answering it for widows, lying about years married or being married, including illegitimate children, including children from previous marriages, including miscarriages.

My 3 x g grandmother was living with her daughter and they were both widows but they still answered the question and both also appear to have included miscarriages in the total number of children born alive. My grandad and his first wife also appear to have done the latter.

My 2 x g grandmother was with her third husband and they had no children but with them were children from both her previous marriages as well as his previous marriage. They were all included in the number of children from present marriage, though the ones not with them were not included. And also listed with the husband's surname, took my a while to sort them out.

Back