• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

1850 Birmingham

spooner

master brummie
Hope someone can help me with this one.....
At the time of their marriage in 1850, 2 of my ancestors were living in Suffolk Street, they married at St Martins.
I would like to see what the area looked like on a map and if possible, if there's a picture, about 1850.

No Probs Spooner glad to be able to help.

Rupert, Ive heard of Crooked lane, Cadbury had a factory in Crooked Lane early on which I think made the drinking chocolates which he sold in the shop in Bull Street? I know Crooked Lane ran from High Street, but I cant find a map on which it is named.

Rod, have pasted this picture from another part of the fourum, also 1890 survey showing the remains of Crooked Lane after Martineau Street was put in. I read somewhere that Cadburys first factory was in what used to be a malt house on the corner of Bull Street and Crooked Lane and wondered if the picture just caught the edge of it to the left. Correction, t seems that the Sandersofoxford print can not be posted. I don't know why. It seems to me that posting is more advertising and since they want to presumably sell the print... Any way if you go to their site and type Birmingham in search (below the picture) and page down through the images you will find a print of the entrance of Crooked Lane into Bull Street.

icon1.gif

After the shop was opened in Bull Street the first Cadbury's factory of any scale was opened in a rented premisses at the bottom of Crooked Lane. This lane seemed to be an extension southwards of Cherry street and came to an end at the junction of Bull Street and Dale End. It mostly dissappeared when Martineau Street was put in. I don't think Crooked Lane went any further down than Dale End but I am not sure. Anyway I have come across this picture of the junction of Bull Street and Crooked Lane and the first factory must have been pretty close to here. Click on the link below. Date 1865.

https://www.sandersofoxford.com

https://www.british-history.ac.uk/m...=10098&ox=1840&oy=1406&zm=1&czm=1&x=442&y=162
|5|TL|FF0000||60
user_online.gif

Last edited:
Rod, actually the 1890 survey map and your older map seem to plot the original (at that time) course of Crooked Lane. When Corporation street was put in it would have wiped out the upper inverted Vee part of Crooked Lane and the construction of Martineau Street would have cut through it leaving a truncated (modified) Vee. The printing in the Vee on the survey map (lane) I think does not actually follow the original lane. It seems to follow the new sidewalk. I think the original lane would have led to the opening in the road on the far side of Martineau Street and then to Bull Street. This little part of the lane seemingly was still there in 1890. It looks like Cherry Street ran down to High Street though.

Last edited:
Hope someone can help me with this one.....
At the time of their marriage in 1850, 2 of my ancestors were living in Suffolk Street, they married at St Martins.
I would like to see what the area looked like on a map and if possible, if there's a picture, about 1850.

Hi
If you go on www.mapseeker.co.uk
On the right of the home page there is a search facility. Select Historical atlas of Birmingham from the drop down menu, key Suffolk Street in the Streets box. Press enter and the system will return two plans, select the 1851 Tallis Plan, scroll down and under the top level image you will see Suffolk Street, A3,B3 Click on that and it will drill down and show you the detail for Suffolk Street 1851
We will be adding all the other streets and places to this plan shortly.
Regards
Paul

Back