• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

1832 Street Map - Explore and enjoy - mapseeker

• Thread starter Thread starter mapseeker
  • Start date Start date
M

mapseeker

Hi All-

The first plan to be loaded on to the mapseeker Birmingham atlas is by James Drake - from 1832

We are still adding the "searcheable streets and places" but we have made a start on this one.

Please can I remind you that we have made this available for all to study and enjoy, 6 months ago the rare original was at a London antique map dealers.

It was a big investment in itself to secure it. The original is now in the care of Birmingham Archives, (it was starting to show its age).

The image that you are viewing is after around 50 hours of painstaking computer based artwork after carefully scanning the original at Birminghams Digital Lab using the very latest technology.

There are a number of items that appear of interest such as the "Bear Yard"
However it is a wonderful example of plan showing the area (notorious) called the Froggery, prior to being cleared to make way for the railway into the heart of the town at New Street

For an example of how this resource can be used - select the Birmingham Atlas in the drop down menu on the right hand side of the home page on mapseeker FOR PLACES Key in Froggery and search

It will display the street map of 1832, scroll down and it will display your search (Froggery) along with segment co ordinates - click on it and it will display the detail level area around the froggery

Once again this is and will be a free resource - and with many more such examples being added in the future a very comprehensive resource. There is the map shop where high resolution colour photographic prints can be purchased - but you do not have to.

In respect to Alan Godfrey Maps - (from early Ordnance Survey) they are an exceptional product with many people using them - but are a completely different product to those products that we make available.

Kind Regards
Paul
mapseeker.co.uk

I just ordered the Birmingham 1834 & a couple more of Walsall Wood & Rushall. It is so easy to get carried away with Mapseeker and I have my eye on a few more maps. There is a liberal copyright approach, too, which means that as BHF is non profitmaking we can post here as I understand it.
I do look forward to seeing availability of the single colour maps on Mapseeker though.

Back