• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

179 George Road, Erdington

smtr

master brummie
Hi

My Grandad, who I never met, lived at 179 George Rd, Erdington from the early 1940s until his death in 1958.

I would love to see a picture of the road if possible.

Many thanks

Suzanne

Hi Jean

I'm not sure as I never met him and only recently found out that is where he lived. Never mind I will have to get my other half to take me out in the car for a search.

Suzanne

Suzzane will ask our son as he lived in the area and my husband says he knows it. We are off for a few days but if you could hang fire will go take a photo for you. Bye. Jean.

George Road stretches from Slade Road to Marsh Hill. I'm not sure where 179 is but think it is one of the houses opposite Brookvale Park which stretches a good half way along George Road and is still very picturesque. If you Google George Road, there are some photos of the road and the park by Keith Berry. Spent many an hour along George Road.
Lynda

Oh Jean that would be fantastic!!! Thank you so much. I have waited this long so I'm not going to be worried about waiting a little longer.

Thank you

Suzanne

on the electoral rolls in 1945 anthony and lily m rogers were there plus patricia murray

in 1950 anthony, lily m and harold j rogers at 179 george rd.

Shera

Thanks for that. That's where I found out his and grandmother's latest address but I must admit I missed the Patricia Murray! Wonder who she was? I will have to look into that although I suppose she could have been just a lodger.

Thanks

Suzanne

Just phone Steve and he called me a p.....r as their first flat was in George road. They were only there for a couple of months but fancy me forgetting. There are road humps all along the road now Pete says and he used to avoid it on his way to work. Jean.

Thanks for that Jennyann have looked at the map and zoomed into our sons first house converted into two flats but they were there for a very short time and move to Roseary road just round the corner. Jean.

Thanks Jennyann.

I think a trip is in order to get to actually see number 179!

Suzanne

It's very nice around Brookvale Park and George Road....pick a sunny day and you will see Suzanne. I used to work at R.M.Douglas 395 George Road.It's called Interserve now I believe. My mother worked at Douglas's as well. We used to have our lunch in the Park some days as the entrance was just across the road. This was many years ago. My play ground as a child was Brookvale Park.

Great that you were able to zoom in on George Road and find the house where your son lived. I had friends in Rosary Road years ago.

Back