• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

15th & 1st Royal Warwicks

spooner

master brummie
My Grandfather, John Hackett served with 15th Btn RWR from 7 Mar 1917 until 10 Mar 1919. His service number was 33207. During his service, he was taken prisoner. I wonder if Alan Tucker could tell me where and when he was captured? I think it may have been at Passchendaelle. I believe that he was incarcerated in Cologne. I have quite a few documents and photos relating to his army service, and I would be glad to e-mail Alan copies of them for his collection.

On release in 1919, John Hackett immediately re-enlisted, he was given service number 5094758, and served with the 1st Btn RWR. I know that he served in Ireland, but I don't know any other details. I wonder whether Alan has any details on this? John Hackett was discharged on 31 March 1921.

Regards
Spooner

Sorry - I tend to have more on those who fell. Terry Carter's book is the place to look for actions of the 15th - I have not get to that stage of the war yet. For a soldier discharged in 1921 his service records may have survived. Look at Researching a Soldier on the Long Long Trail web site under those who continued to serve and POWs, including Red Cross. Unfortunately he is not one of the c3000 POW interviews in the National Archives.

Back