• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

1 st South Staffordshire WW1

1 st South Staffordshire's

Winston. That great !!! the first photo of the 1 st Battalion has no date so I assume it may have been taken in 1914, another observation I made was the " Peace Plate" as I had not known this before. I have not searched all the site yet but its great so far. Many thanks for your posting.

" LEAST WE FORGET "

1 st South Staffordshire's

Winston,

That is a great site, but Ghent is and was firmly in East Flanders, not France!

Thanks for the link, Graham.

my great uncle joined the South Staffs in Walsall late 1800's
1st July 1878 20th Brigade if you have any interest I have a copy of is records and a couple of photographs of him

John,

That would be great if you would share with us us, otherwise post with a PM.

Thanks, Graham.

South Staffordshire

3 jpgs
1. not sure what he is wearing as a stripe on is arm
2. I believe this would be is dress uniform
3. signing on form he lived in Ashtead but signed in Walsall
I have is record book with service and wages it looks like he spent quite some time in India

Private CHARLES , Isaac
Unit: 1st/5th Bn.
Regiment: South Staffordshire Regiment
Service No: 17386
Date of Death: 25 March 1918
Commemoration: LONGUENESSE (ST. OMER) SOUVENIR CEMETERY
France
IV. F. 78.
Above was my grandmother's older brother. I didn't know anything about him except the story has come down through the years that my grandmother woke from a dream about a shell blast and later when she received word that Isaac had been killed, the date and time coincided with her dream.
I do have a small newspaper clipping (photo of Isaac Charles) which was posted in a paper at the time of his death. Unfortunately the name and date of the paper are not included. His last address was High Heath, Pelsall, Staffordshire.

Any information about how to track down the publisher of name of the paper will be appreciated.

John, Your Gt/Uncle is wearing his dress uniform for the formal photo, and i am pretty certain that is service stripe awarded after 3 or 5 yrs service in the Army. Len.

The single chevron stripe on his arm on photo 1 is called a "Good Conduct Badge". It was awarded after two years service as long as the man had no blemish on his disciplinary record - not as easy as it sounds.

Back