• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

    We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Search results

  1. T

    forgotten memories of the 1960s

    In Gloucestershire where I grew up, the 1/3 pint mil bottles came with foil tops, right from the early 60s. Maybe we were ahead of Birmingham...
  2. T

    Maps of Back to backs in Birmingham?

    Thank you. I'm aware of those, but wondered if anyone had annotated something like that to show which areas were back to backs and when they were built.
  3. T

    Maps of Back to backs in Birmingham?

    Having visited the NT Back to Backs yesterday, and having relatives who we know did living in such housing, I'm struck by the thought that back to back housing would have been built in specific areas of the town as it expanded in later Victorian times. So are there any maps showing which areas...
  4. T

    Devonshire Regiment recruitment in Birmingham?

    Thanks for all the information, which we already have. I wasn't looking for anyone to do research for me. I was only looking for an answer to the very specific question that I originally asked. Apologies if I inadvertently wasted anyone's time on the wide history.
  5. T

    What records exist for historic businesses in Birmingham?

    Interesting. The building appears to have been damaged by a bomb during WWII and family rumour is that the owners got compensation... but no proof or detail is known.
  6. T

    What records exist for historic businesses in Birmingham?

    I also have a newspaper advert from them in 1938. Was it a small company? Who were the directors or partners (rumour has it there were only two)? When was the business started?
  7. T

    What records exist for historic businesses in Birmingham?

    I hadn't come across Grace's Guide before - it's a mine of information. Thanks for the pointer to that. Sadly, neither of the two businesses seems to be listed there online. [Ne (in 1921) is "Green A Welbourne, Legg St, Birmingham" - maybe Green & Welbourne, and clearly Legge St - and the...
  8. T

    Devonshire Regiment recruitment in Birmingham?

    If deemed unfit, that would have been clear from the attestation papers presumably... but they don't appear to exist. Would there be any other record?
  9. T

    Devonshire Regiment recruitment in Birmingham?

    And therein lies some of the conundrum. Why would a soldier not have a medal card? We can only assume that he may not have completed (may have failed?) his training?
  10. T

    What records exist for historic businesses in Birmingham?

    Newspaper searches have so far revealed little. Ah well, that's the joy of family and local history! I feel a visit to Birmingham is needed soon...
  11. T

    Devonshire Regiment recruitment in Birmingham?

    Transfer from the Warwicks certainly makes more sense than direct attestation. He was William Constable, yes, living in Birmingham all his life. Interestingly, however, his brother attested to the Somersets and then transferred to the Berkshires. (Out of respect for living relatives, I...
  12. T

    Bomb in Spiceal Street?

    We understand from family stories that a family business was bombed in Spiceal Street during WWII. I can't see anything online in newspapers at the time. Where else might I find any information about it, and particularly the compensation that is said to have been paid to the owners?
  13. T

    What records exist for historic businesses in Birmingham?

    I'm interested in a couple of Printing businesses in Birmingham in the early 20th century. What records might I find about ownership, for example, and where might they be, please? I only know of trade directories at present t, and they say very little.
  14. T

    Devonshire Regiment recruitment in Birmingham?

    We have a relative for whom there are no attestation papers and no war medal records, as far as we can ascertain. We have search long and hard! However, we know for certain that he was in the Devonshire Regiment at some point during WWI - we have a photo of him in uniform and a card sent from...
  15. T

    Harris family

    We are related to the Henry HARRIS referred to above in Lugwardine, and by coincidence we now live in Lugwardine!
  16. T

    Mr Partridge's shop in Washwood Heath Road?

    Thank you. Now the challenge is to determine whether or not William and Audrey are relatives.
  17. T

    Mr Partridge's shop in Washwood Heath Road?

    A family member recalls a relative, probably having the surname Partridge, having a shop in Washwood Heath Road in the 1960s or thereabouts. Can anybody recall any details, please, or provide a photo? Thanks.
Back
Top