Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.
Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.
Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history.
While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.
We do hope you enjoy your visit.
BHF Admin Team
Selfridges have a large mural of the young Black Sabbath inside, near menswear. They also have a very large yellow bull, similar to the one in the Bullring, but not made of bronze. Good to see the band and Birmingham celebrated!
I think that aside from historians of photography like the much missed Pete James few people had heard of him. George Shaw (1818 -1904) was born in Dudley and buried in Key Hill. (I think as I'd never heard of him either.)
Derek
An interesting way to display the exhibition outside, I guess it may be seen by passers-by who wouldn't enter a gallery or museum.
A technical paper by Jo Gane is here: https://journal.sciencemuseum.ac.uk/article/photography-and-electroplate-in-1840s-birmingham/#abstract
'Photography and...
Pork pie for Christmas breakfast was a treat and doesn't require any cooking on a morning when lots of cooking would be done? On ordinary days Mom would have weetabix with jam and hot milk, I gather Dad ate grape nuts. I much preferred pork pie to these horrors! We have pork pie still at...
CAMRA reports the Kings Head pub closed long term on 12 Feb 2025. Its future is uncertain. The Evening Mail carried the story https://www.birminghammail.co.uk/whats-on/whats-on-news/birmingham-pub-amazing-food-suddenly-30996576
:(
I never knew that Chemico was made in Birmingham. Mom used the pink household cleaner to clean the stove, pots and pans and the Belfast sink. Its smell is evocative and not unpleasant. I think that in the UK it is now sold as 'The Pink Stuff', but retains its original branding in South Africa.
The Crown Hotel has its own thread. We hope it can be saved, but it is on the corner of Station St which is under threat of redevelopment. It would make a great music venue - good to know Mark Knopfler played there. Still closed at the moment.
Your grandfather commissioned Ernő Goldfinger, a leading architect of the Modernist movement, to design the company offices in 1955/6. 'Goldfinger House' is a grade 11 listed building and currently refurbished and maintained. photo 2010.
I've been lucky enough to see two concerts at Birmingham Symphony Hall this year. The folkie Roy Harper now in his 80s. And last night, Simon Rattle conducting his new band the Bavarian Radio Symphony Orchestra playing Schumann's second symphony and the highlight for me, Stravinsky's ballet...
'Witton Wall' was constructed after the First World War, with 12 names being added after WW2 to 'commemorate those Second World War casualties buried in graves that could not be marked individually.'
Most memorials were constructed in the 1920s. You can read about the memorial on the...