• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

    We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Search results

  1. S

    Happy Birthday John L

    Happy Birthday, John! Have a good day.
  2. S

    Happy birthday Pete (mw0njm)

    Happy Birthday, Pete! Hope you have a good day. Derek
  3. S

    D.N.A. TESTING

    Thank you for sharing your personal story with us cba, I'm glad that you were able to make contact with your half brother and his family. We can only have sympathy for your Mother and Grandmother. Best wishes, Derek
  4. S

    Happy Birtday NoddKD

    Happy Birthday Nodd!
  5. S

    D.N.A. TESTING

    I just listened to this rather heart-warming conversation between Sir Paul Nurse and Prof Tori King. Paul Nurse comes from a working class family, like many of us, and in his 30s discovered his 'sister' was actually his mother. She had died by the time he made his discovery. Ironically he is a...
  6. S

    big brummie quiz 2025

    Thanks! The tiling the public can see is in the gents clothes shop. The old Kardomah basement now belongs to the trendy Korean shop next door and has been refitted. I've not ventured down there, but have glanced inside. (I'm guessing there may be more tiles in the parts of the entrance to the...
  7. S

    big brummie quiz 2025

    I got 7 and the first question was easy thanks to BHF thread on the cafe!
  8. S

    Wishing everyone a happy and prosperous new year 2026

    A very Happy New Year to everyone!
  9. S

    W&T Avery pair of "stands" - help please with identifying.

    Averys made lots of scales over the years. I now agree with Morturn, these are Merchants or Balance scales. post 6. You are missing the weights, pans and crossbeam. These might have been made of brass? The weights go in the round pan and the stuff to be weighed in the other pan.
  10. S

    W&T Avery pair of "stands" - help please with identifying.

    Pictures from Facebook collectors group.
  11. S

    W&T Avery pair of "stands" - help please with identifying.

    At school we were weighed using a steelyard. I saw these used for weighing fish and other items in the wholesale markets. I think you are missing the crossbar and weights to complete a set of scales?
  12. S

    Book: Ladywood by Norman Bartlam

    Hi Claire, You can read extracts here, and see some Birmingham libraries which have reference copies. There are no copies for sale on ABE books currently. https://ladywoodunite.com/2024/08/03/the-forgotten-peoplea-challenge-to-a-caring-community-norman-sandiford-power-1965/
  13. S

    Happy birthday Brenda Barr

    Happy Birthday to you!
  14. S

    Berry Mound hill fort Solihull

    I see that it is a Site of Special Scientific Interest: 8a. Berry Mound Camp: The site is a SSSI (Berry Mound Pastures) for its flower-rich grassland as well as a Scheduled Monument which provides opportunities for visitor engagement. I assume there is no public access currently?
  15. S

    C&A on Radio 4

    What was interesting in the programme as well is that C&A thrives in other European countries. The mistake seemingly was to have centralised buying, so one style of clothing was sold in all shops. Britain said to be fashion forward. C&A is unusual as it continues to be a family run private company.
  16. S

    C&A on Radio 4

    Thanks, the programme is on BBC Sounds if you have the App. I didn't reckon much to the young mens clothes, but a few years later the lighting department was more stylish than Habitat and a fraction of the price.
  17. S

    Dudley Road record Shop

    Rising Star has a long history. In May 1985 Cecil Morris started PCRL Peoples Community Radio Link which was a pirate radio station. In those days legal stations did not play reggae and other music from the Islands. https://www.thepiratearchive.net/pcrl/
  18. S

    Needless Alley

    View from Temple Row end towards New Street. Many of the paving slabs are broken as there's a lot of unloading of beer barrels. The red bins contain commercial waste. The doors are mostly back entrances these days. After this I relaxed to half an hour of choral evensong at the cathedral.
  19. S

    Benjamin Stone 'Midland Institute (Natural History) Party at the House of Commons'

    'Midland Institute (Natural History) Party at the House of Commons' by Benjamin Stone platinum print, 19 May 1908 6 1/8 in. x 8 in. (155 mm x 202 mm) image size Given by House of Commons Library, 1974 Photographs Collection NPG x135553 CC license. I think this was a 'field club' - Benjamin...
Back
Top