• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

    We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Search results

  1. MWS

    Heaton

    Excellent. That possibly explains why the most likely Walter Hancock lists himself as single in 1911.
  2. MWS

    Heaton

    Maud (d of Harry & Charlotte) was an only child as far as I can see.
  3. MWS

    Heaton

    There's reg. for a Maud Heaton Sep qtr 1886 Kings Norton, daughter of a Harry Heaton and Charlotte Ellen Baker. Living in Moseley in 1891 before moving to Bournemouth. Possibly married a Walter Edward Hancock. Without having some info about yourself I can't connect her to you.
  4. MWS

    Morand

    I think that's probably a different Eugene Morand, Lyn. Article mentions an appointment just before the war but OP's Eugene died in 1909.
  5. MWS

    'Rednal' House

    I keep comparing it to the picture but unless there had been some alterations I can't make it match. :(
  6. MWS

    Morand

    On the subject of Mason College, in the Bham Daily Post 25 Sep 1889 there article that mentions 'the department being placed in temporary charge of Monsieur Eugene Morand'. I think this refers to the French department though as there is a similar article on the 20th.
  7. MWS

    Morand

    As mentioned previously Elizabeth Smith's mother married a James Luker after she was born. Herbert, Louise and also an Edith & Edward were reg. with mmn Luker (GRO site). One of the adverts was in the Bham Mail 2 Apr 1885 and the other in the Bham Daily Post 28 Dec 1880. I don't have a...
  8. MWS

    'Rednal' House

    Kershaw is with Thomas and family on Pershore Road in 1861, though it appears that his death was reg. back in Yorkshire in 1867.
  9. MWS

    'Rednal' House

    Could be but OP did say that it says on the photo 'Rednal' home of Emma Holroyd. I can't see connection between the Holroyd family and the area Rednal and (though hardly conclusive) the house on the photo doesn't look much like that on the map in post #5. It doesn't look like any house on York...
  10. MWS

    'Rednal' House

    Well that directory would appear to rule out Norfolk Road, though the house on the photo has a vague similarity with the map.
  11. MWS

    'Rednal' House

    There appear to be two families that are on both the 1871 & 1881 census - Yates and Low/Lowe. I think in 1871 the Yates family are listed 3/4 properties away and the Low/Lowe family 7/8 properties away. In 1881 Henry Lowe is listed at Southfield, Norfolk Road which I can't see on the 1888 map...
  12. MWS

    'Rednal' House

    I couldn't see the road in 1871. In 1861 they're on Pershore Road. From the old maps and looking at the picture I would guess that Norfolk Road is the most likely. Do any of the neighbouring houses in 1871 list anything on their address in addition to Norfolk Road?
  13. MWS

    'Rednal' House

    I see on the 1881 census the Emma's widowed step mother (if I have the correct family) is living on York Road, Edgbaston and the family are listed in Edgbaston in 1871. So is it not likely that Rednal House is possibly on York Road with the name not listed?
  14. MWS

    Morand

    As mentioned previously Herbert and Louise's mother was an Elizabeth Luker (b Smith) whom Eugene married in 1877. She died in 1884, reg. Chepstow. They had another son, who died young and a daughter, who may have died young as well. There are a couple of adverts that appear to be Eugene...
  15. MWS

    proposals for rackhams

    Whatever the reason there's no denying shopping habits have changed. Maybe if they continue to build flats/apartments they'll flood the market and prices will come down. Last time I was in town it looked like they were starting to knock down the Oasis buildings. I can't imagine there'll be...
  16. MWS

    Powell Elizabeth Ann b1908

    So by 1918 your mother was in an orphanage, her parents had died and her three brothers had been killed in the war. That must be terrible.
  17. MWS

    Powell Elizabeth Ann b1908

    One of Elizabeth's uncles (Walter Cantlin) also appears to be missing from the 1921 census. He was only recently married and had no children so she could be with him. On the 1922 ER he's listed at Ashted Place but if he's there in 1921 he doesn't come up. Her (Cantlin) grandmother was still...
  18. MWS

    Powell Elizabeth Ann b1908

    Have you transposed the years perhaps. William (Oxford & Bucks) appears to have died in 1917, though his age and service no. seem to be wrong on the CWGC site.
  19. MWS

    Powell Elizabeth Ann b1908

    Can't spot her in 1921.
  20. MWS

    Powell Elizabeth Ann b1908

    That seems right then Lyn. There was a son, birth reg. as Charles Francis Dec 1905 and death as Thomas Francis Mar 1906 - not sure why there's a difference and a daughter, Mary Winifred birth reg. Jun 1911 and death the same qtr. The third child was another daughter, Mary Agnes birth Mar...
Back
Top