• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

    We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Search results

  1. MWS

    21 court 14 House Hospital Street, Hockley

    The entry between the two houses would seem to indicate that 15 to 17 are the three houses round the corner at the end.
  2. MWS

    21 court 14 House Hospital Street, Hockley

    The access looks clear to me. Not like the other nearby courts where the access appears to be a covered entry between two houses but much more open from Hospital St.
  3. MWS

    Anyone fancy sharpening their search skills?

    I'm not sure if I'm getting confused (easy with Smiths) but I don't think any one said Walter died young. As per your op he died in WWI. There was a William who possibly died young but there are a number of possible deaths that could be his and no way to tell which (if any) is his.
  4. MWS

    Anyone fancy sharpening their search skills?

    I think there are at least 4 more daughters as well - Sarah Ann, Harriet, Elizabeth and Ann.
  5. MWS

    Anyone fancy sharpening their search skills?

    No mmn and we know names can be changed. I think this is the Elizabeth who 'married' Thomas Smith and if so then I'd say Oswin is Charles. Hospital St and Hockley St are close so Thomas Smith could still possibly be his father. Speculation only.
  6. MWS

    Anyone fancy sharpening their search skills?

    Looks like Hospital St for Elizabeth and not certain but the first letter of her son's name could be a C.
  7. MWS

    Anyone fancy sharpening their search skills?

    Going on the theory that Smith/Bishton is correct (far from certain) then in 1851... There is a possibility for Thomas Smith as a lodger of Thomas Peck in the St George parish of Bham. Age 21, occ. jeweller. There is also a possibility for Elizabeth Bishton as a lodger of Albert Griffiths also...
  8. MWS

    Anyone fancy sharpening their search skills?

    The Elizabeth Moulton who is on the same marriage reg. as Thomas Smith married a Samuel Brueton. So that tree is wrong. That Thomas Smith married an Elizabeth Oxford. They had a son called Charles but way too late, 1859.
  9. MWS

    Anyone fancy sharpening their search skills?

    Sometimes you can read too much into names or the absence of them. However in this case it appears that Hannah Blythe's maternal grandfather may have been a Richard. I'd be interested in seeing Charles senior's birth certificate.
  10. MWS

    Anyone fancy sharpening their search skills?

    They might be grandchildren from a different son. The ages are different and Lily is listed with her mother in 1901.
  11. MWS

    Anyone fancy sharpening their search skills?

    I think this is Thomas & Elizabeth in 1881... https://www.findmypast.co.uk/transcript?id=GBC%2F1881%2F0013536240&expand=true&tab=this
  12. MWS

    Anyone fancy sharpening their search skills?

    It's that mmn listed for their children (other than Charles) and on one of the censuses she is with her parents in Shropshire with 2 of their children.
  13. MWS

    Anyone fancy sharpening their search skills?

    Have amended my previous post as I mixed up Walter and Arthur a little. Walter's WWI death listing gives his parents as Charles and Hannah.
  14. MWS

    Anyone fancy sharpening their search skills?

    Taking Ernest's assertion that his mother and 5 of his brothers were dead by 1916 at face value then, as we know that Walter was still alive (d1917) and probably Charles (d1917) and assuming he wasn't including William (died young ?) as one of the 5 it would seem to imply he was referring to...
  15. MWS

    Anyone fancy sharpening their search skills?

    I'm now almost completely sure that Edwin Arthur Smith the footballer is not your Edwin Smith. The main site that has information about him has mixed up two different Edwin Arthur Smiths (neither yours) and used info from both.
  16. MWS

    Anyone fancy sharpening their search skills?

    Sorry I meant a marriage for that Charles' father, Thomas Smith to Elizabeth Bishton.
  17. MWS

    Anyone fancy sharpening their search skills?

    I assume you know it's possible that Charles (the father) wasn't a Smith at all. There is no birth reg. for him or marriage for his parents that I can see and Thomas appears to still be single in 1851. None of which are conclusive but create a little doubt.
  18. MWS

    Anyone fancy sharpening their search skills?

    On the GRO site mother's maiden name appears on most search results.
  19. MWS

    HS2 progress 2020 and beyond

    That moving completion date is shocking I can't disagree. Again is it down over optimism of the original backers, lack of appreciation of the complexities or incompetence of the builders (past and present)? Mainly the first two in my opinion.
  20. MWS

    HS2 progress 2020 and beyond

    Doesn't make it right but the cost of all major products seem to be underestimated. I don't think you can say it's a waste of money until it is completed and then see if it does what it was intended to do. I will say that I'm not sure it will.
Back
Top