• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

    We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

A J Vaughan (Mitre Works) Willenhall

Esg66

Brummie babby
Hi
I remember visiting this forge? In 1980 and not long after, the managing director Michael Vaughan killed himself by putting his head under a drop hammer -I had met him a few months previously at an International Drop Forging Convention and wondered if anyone remembers this, the convention and what happened after - it was a horrific way to go.
 
Hi
I remember visiting this forge? In 1980 and not long after, the managing director Michael Vaughan killed himself by putting his head under a drop hammer -I had met him a few months previously at an International Drop Forging Convention and wondered if anyone remembers this, the convention and what happened after - it was a horrific way to go.
what an awful thing to happen...poor man

lyn
 
Hi
I remember visiting this forge? In 1980 and not long after, the managing director Michael Vaughan killed himself by putting his head under a drop hammer -I had met him a few months previously at an International Drop Forging Convention and wondered if anyone remembers this, the convention and what happened after - it was a horrific way to go.
Hi
I remember visiting this forge? In 1980 and not long after, the managing director Michael Vaughan killed himself by putting his head under a drop hammer -I had met him a few months previously at an International Drop Forging Convention and wondered if anyone remembers this, the convention and what happened after - it was a horrific way to go.
Michael Vaughan was my father's best man at his wedding and I worked at the forge during a summer vacation in the late 1970s. The family home was in Plaish, Shropshire and Michael commuted in every day - must have taken an hour each way. I suspect the financial problems in this small family business proved too much. His widow Barbara moved to Church Stretton and live to a good age. They had two children, Paul moved to Australia while the daughter acted as a tour guide at Whitwick Manor for a long while. Michael is the man on the right of this photo at my parent's wedding 7th March 1953 at St Peter's Wolverhampton.
 

Attachments

  • BridegroomAndBestMan.jpg
    BridegroomAndBestMan.jpg
    78.9 KB · Views: 1
Back
Top