• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

The Balsall Heath Motor Works c1924

Horatio

knowlegable brummie
I have pleasure in posting a photograph from the mis 1920s of The Balsall Heath Motor Works Mary Street, my grandfather on my mothers side served with the Royal Welch Fusiliers during the First World War and returned to manage this company in Mary Street note the tram tracks and the Worcester Co Op lorry delivering milk, my grandfather served a apprentice with Aldays and Onions in Highgate pre war so had experience they produced cars and ambulances for the war effort. I think the Model T Ford’s in the picture are early in the production as they are left hand drive, later Ford opened a factory at Trafford Park Manchester producing Right hand drive cars they probably came to Lawley Street goods yard on the train and then driven to Mary street to be fitted with bodies.
I am having trouble uploading the photo

Thank you all for your input my Grandfather lived in the adjoining house until the birth of my Aunt Muriel Ada Martin who suffered from asthma and the family returned to the farm cottage in Wood Lane Earlswood following advice from the doctor for cleaner air for her. He established a small motor transport business from the cottage also running the smallholding, my Aunt returned to Moseley Road working for Wheatleys Funeral Directors until her retirement in the 1990s.

One thought about about the photograph by Horatio (post no.2) about the Worcester Co-Op lorry delivering milk. I seems more likely that the lorry was being out shopped after the fitting of a body. After all that appears to be one of the services offered by George Le Resche.

Possibly but l wouldn’t of thought it would have milk churns loaded if it had been fitted with a body also the canvas tilt looks to be lifted for access to the side.

Just out of interest after my Grandfather moved back to Earlswood he had a Vulcan Petrol lorry and later a Ford V8 petrol lorry l was born in 1959 and as a five year old can remember the corrugated iron shed/workshop at the cottage complete with inspection pit.

What a great photo later photo the breakdown can looks like a Ford T looking at the original photo l think the pub was the Marine Tavern

Interestingly the sign over the entrance has acquired a BP agency badge in the later picture also the sign over the adjoining house has changed from Ford Ford Ford to Austin Humber and Hupmobile who were a American manufacturer.

This is not directly in connection with this subject but still my family history, on my fathers side the photograph is Horatio George Hawkins Turner Corn merchant established Small Heath 1884 he is with one of his working horses at the rear of premises probably in Small Heath.121B0860-0728-4082-BDF7-1876672B01FA.jpeg

If you go to the search box and enter Working horses and then tick the titles box just below it will take you to the thread and you can then
enter the same post.

Sorry l am not sure how to do that?

click on link below horatio and post your horse photo there

Back