• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Picken Matthew

Another interesting snippet, the marriage certificate of Matthew Picken in April 1838. He is shown as a machine fitter. He would then be about 25 years old. Notice that the residence is Harbourne, and that his father here is down as Matthias and not Matthew. His father is confirmed as a labourer.

IMG_2612.jpeg

thats what i thought so on the same side as the cross guns pub...so would this photo of the cross guns looking up frankfort st from summer lane show no 24 in the distance or have i got this wrong

View attachment 195552What a great picture. Thank you for sharing it. When might it have been taken? Early 1960s? I can see a Jaguar parked and wonder if it might have been my Dad's!

Another interesting snippet, the marriage certificate of Matthew Picken in April 1838. He is shown as a machine fitter. He would then be about 25 years old. Notice that the residence is Harbourne, and that his father here is down as Matthias and not Matthew. His father is confirmed as a labourer.

View attachment 195560
Yes, I picked this up on Ancestry. Matthias was a labourer and worked in Kemberton, Shropshire. That's where his son, Matthew Picken, set out from when he was ten years old. I love Sarah's signature. It looks for well controlled and makes me think that she was an educated woman. I did wonder if the residence being Harbourne might be why I can't find any note of Joe Murdock. I'm looking in the wrong place. Maybe they started the factory in Harbourne and Matthew started buying up back to backs in Frankfort Street.

I have not read the attachments yet but something occurred to me.
In 1895 Matthew was at 24 Frankfort Steet and back of 24 was Sarah Cudd, cycle fittings, and in 1900 at the back there was The Wizzard Vacuum Manufacturers!
Pedrocut, you'll never guess. You were right! He probably did buy up Sarah Cudd's cycle fittings, OR he started manufacturing pedals for her!

Attachments

• William cycle pedals.JPG
    William cycle pedals.JPG
    11.2 KB · Views: 3
Back