• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

St Michaels RC School Floodgate Street

Yes i attended 1958 to 1962 Tommy Hames last class 4a Dobbins
I was there at the same time and the last thing Mr Dobbins said as we walked out the door for the last time Easter 1962 was “Keep the faith” good teacher and a good man.

tommy i remember you as captain of st anns football team, playing at highbury playing fields against english martyrs,before st micks, john mullen rip was our captain,,,,he was a brilliant player,,,way past the rest of our team, ,in fact you could of called us a one man team, i will never know why john wasnt spotted,,,where we often played in perry barr,, i once saw joe mercer watching aston boys, i was to young to tell him,who he should of been watching,,,,great to hear from you,,,you mention somewhere about my woodwork ability ,,i mastered two trades bricklaying and carpentry,,,best regards john griffin,
Great to hear from you John yes remember Highbury park Moorgreen playing fields and Belchers lane. Met
Up with Mick Floody and Des Kelly in June this year. Sad John Mullen passed away. Speak soon Tom Hames.
yes tommy i well remember you from st micks and st patricks house you were captain of most things, ...its incredible how long ago it all was,58yrs,,,my son used to live in no 1 bordesley st, so i often passed the old school.it brought back the memories, great memories, best wishes,,,john griffin,

Did someone, one time box Mr Parker on the chest, it was in 1971, just wondering, worst type. Why would be next question, so much mention of him. What else do i remember, yes making miss whitehouse cry in class a bad sad day, she was a wonderfull person.

Hi, this is my first post here. There is a facebook site if people are interested here:

https://www.facebook.com/home.php?#/group.php?gid=26532911635

Please feel free to join and add photos. I was at St Michael's but only for the final year, before the whole school was moved.

Seems that facebook link is no longer active (as at 4th Oct 2024).

Apologies, new member here I hadn't realised that when replying to an old post (think it was from 2009), it would post my entry somewhere else. Can't see any other way of posting this though, unless there's some way I can append a reply directly to the original post?

If there's a better way to respond to older posts please shout out!

Last edited:
Just registered on this site.John Flatley.Went to St Michael's between 1961 & 65 approx.Had brother Tim 2 years below me.I remember head McCoy & other teachers:Joe Parker,O'Donnell,Dobbins,Miss Nicholls.Pupils:Joe Cunningham,Brendan Duffy,Daniel Twohig,Christopher Slattery,Robert Mulveigh,Donald Hollywood,Philip Leckie,Robert Keenan,Pat McQuigan,Jackie Nash,Jeanette Norton,Rita Shanahan,.....loads more but can't remember the names just now,perhaps someone could remind me if they remember me at all....I'd love to hear from you.I've seen Joe Cunningham since school & a few others at St Micks school reunions a few years ago.They were organised by Mary Doyle who may have been in our Tim's class/year.

Sadly my eldest brother John Flatley (who posted above back in Aug 2011) passed away on 13th Sept 2024 (aged 73). John was a great character back in the day. Never quite took to the boxing at St Mick's so leaving school in the swinging sixties I think it was more about the ladies and those mini-skirts! He sang and played guitar and was a mobile DJ for most of his life. Always mad about the Kinks, big Baggies fan a few years back and all in all a sound bloke who it would be hard to fall out with. Spent his latter years as a Royal Mail sorter but since retirement had a few health issues and quality of life wasn't great. It's a blessing he's pain free now and gone to join the rest of our family up yonder wherever that may be.

I recall going to a couple of St Mick's reunions with John, in St Anne's club Digbeth next to the church but that was maybe 10-15 years ago maybe even longer.

In case anyone remembers John his funeral will be at St Anne;s church in Bosworth Drive, Chelmsley Wood on Friday 25th October followed by burial at Woodlands then a few pints and a bite to eat afterwards.

I went to another RC School. Archbishop Williams at Tile Cross. My best mate in my first year (1966) was Paul Flatley who lived in Dora Rd Small Heath. I believe that Paul's older brothers went to St Michael's. One was called Tim I believe. Paul and his brothers were great fans of the Kinks pop group at that time and Paul got me into liking them as well. We lost touch after school but I heard that Paul died suddenly in the early 90s. He was always a great Blues fan and a good footballer.

Hi John, can't recall your name to be honest but nice to read your memories anyway. My memory at that time is vague (I was nearly 5 years younger than Paul) but I recall those going into the first year at "Archies" (Archbishop Williams) had to wear short trousers for the first year! Paul (RIP) was a fairly hairy young fella and I think was probably shaving at the time so stubble and short trousers didn't really look quite right!

Of Paul's three brothers; John has only just passed away, Tim's gone about 15 years now and your old mate Paul died 8th Feb 1996, aged 41 (he'd only recently been diagnosed with Angina and had a heart attack whilst running for a bus to get to work!). I'm the baby and the only one left (Patrick) so thanks again John for sharing your memories.

Last edited:
Mick Dunleavy the brother of Seamus has recently passed away in Co Mayo Ireland. He was the co owner of the Rildon pipe laying business whose yellow lorries and vans were a familiar fixture around Solihull and Birmingham in the late 60s and 70s.

It's a small world John. Would you believe I was having a pint with young Mick Dunleavy (Puggy) only last night in Charlestown, County Mayo. As you've posted elsewhere there are some great stories around the Dunleavy's, one of which they allegedly put the Kray twins (or could've been their henchmen) back on a train to London, with their tails between their legs, after they'd come up trying to tread on other people's territory.

I note from other posts that you've been living in Mayo for several years. I'm generally here for about half the year, townland of Gowel 2 miles outside Charlestown. Would be great to have a catchup over a pint sometime we could cry over the downfall of Small Heath (not to mention the same thing happening now in Ireland).

Last edited:
Back