• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Plimmer Billy (William Henry)

George F was married to Louisa Jordan. A search for births surname Plimmer and mmn Jordan gave these results

elsie birth reg.jpg
Lilian birth reg.jpg
George birth reg.jpg
May  birth reg.jpg
Mabel birth reg.jpg
Gladys birth.jpg
Olive birth reg.jpg
Arthur birth reg.jpg

The 1911 census says they had 6 children by then with 2 dying. (May and Gladys).
Olive also died in infancy

Last edited:
Elsie:
Marriage in 1918
elsie marriage.jpg
Note - her sister Lilian is a witness.
In 1939 she was living in Stoneleigh Road There appears to be one child at that point living at home. Haven't searched for more children.
Elsie 1939 Stoneleigh Road.jpg

She appears to have died in 1981 - to be sure you would need to buy the death cert but the dob matches that on the 1939 reg.
Elsie death.jpg

Elsie:
Marriage in 1918
View attachment 195327
Note - her sister Lilian is a witness.
In 1939 she was living in Stoneleigh Road There appears to be one child at that point living at home. Haven't searched for more children.
View attachment 195328

She appears to have died in 1981 - to be sure you would need to buy the death cert but the dob matches that on the 1939 reg.
View attachment 195329
Interesting, i vaguely recall a Lilian in the Family but not sure if she was from my Nans side of the family or my Grandads

Good Afternoon

I believe my great great grandad was William Henry ( Billy ) Plimmer, the first world champion boxer to come from Birmingham, i believe he was born in Willian Henry Street Aston in 1869 hence the name.
I know he won the world championship on 3 occasions in the USA firstly beating american boxer Spider Kelly in the 1890s
When he retired from boxing he came back to the UK & had a shop at 141 The Broadway in Witton, he lived & worked at the shop until his death in 1929 but i have no idea what he sold from the shop.
If anybody knows how to track records of ownership & what the shop sold i would be gratefull, also any old pictures of William Henry Street in Aston when their was still houses on it as now only the pub from these times is still standing.
Billy was my great great Uncle I believe. His sister, Alice married my great great Grandad.

Back