• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Cottages on the Estate of Great Barr, Staffordshire for Mr Addyes Scott

bartram335

I have found a couple of images of estate cottages online relating to the Great Barr estate of Mr Addyes Scott, They are copyright so i can't post them, but they are easilt searchable with the text in the thread title.

Does anyone know if theses cottages were actually built and if so where were they situated?

In the picture I found there is a church in the background which I guess would be St Margaret's, Great Barr (has a similar shape, ignoring later spire) which would give a direction the artist was looking.

On the 1880s map there is a building(s) marked near Barr Hall Farm with a similar shape to the cottages which could be them I suppose. A lot of surmising but two maps below showing the church and cottages(?) with an approximate angle of view of picture...

0 - Great Barr 1.jpg

0 - Great Barr 2.jpg

In a sale of a large portion of the estate in 1911 (so not all of it) there's a listing of various cottages but specifically two fronting Newton Road and two with entrances onto Walsall Road. Don't know if this helps ?

Could be way off track here, but the drawing reminds me of almshouses. (Could they be connected with St Margarets Hospital ?) They don't look like regular worker cottages to me.

Screenshot_20240112_085430_Chrome.jpg
Spirce : British Newspaper Archive

Last edited:
Could be way off track here, but the drawing reminds me of almshouses. (Could they be connected with St Margarets Hospital ?) They don't look like regular worker cottages to me.
I thought they looked a bit grand to be worker's cottages.

Thanks for the replies so far. Unfortunately they are off track as this is not related to the Great Barr Hall Estate, but the smaller neighboring Red House Estate on the other side of Scott Arms. This is less well documented hence why i am struggling to find anything. The link to the Hathitrust is interesting though as it say that the cottages were lately erected, which suggests to me that they were actually built and not just planned. This has just made me more curious to find them. Thanks Again.

A question, Could the chapel-like structure in the distance be a school ? Anyone know where the Addyes Free School was in Great Barr ? There's still an Addyes and Scott Educational Foundation today.

Some of he cottages around the Great Barr Hall estate were the lodges which were occupied by estate workers and are listed buildings designed by the architects used for the main buildings. More details can be found on my Great Bsrr site www.b43.co.uk and the associated Red House Park site www.redhousepark.org.uk

In a sale of a large portion of the estate in 1911 (so not all of it) there's a listing of various cottages but specifically two fronting Newton Road and two with entrances onto Walsall Road. Don't know if this helps ?

View attachment 188056
Spirce : British Newspaper Archive I came across some old records that suggest Mr Addis Scott’s country houses were probably built in the late 19th century, mainly for workers on the Great Barr estate. If you are interested in the architectural styles of this period, you should also look at modern developments inspired by historical projects, such as the okto art house seaside apartment complex in Batumi. This is a different location, but may provide a useful comparison. As for the country houses, they were probably located close to the main estate, although the exact records may require more historical research or a visit to the local archives.
It's likely that the cottages you found are connected to the estate's larger historical development. Estate cottages were often built by landowners to house workers or tenants. These buildings were typically situated on or near the estate grounds, often forming part of the estate's infrastructure to support agriculture or other activities.

Last edited:
It's likely that the cottages you found are connected to the estate's larger historical development. Estate cottages were often built by landowners to house workers or tenants. These buildings were typically situated on or near the estate grounds, often forming part of the estate's infrastructure to support agriculture or other activities.
And certainly within easy walking distance of the estate proper,

Richard and Alan.....A word of warning.

Mods are currently discussing this new member and the very intelligent sounding contribution to the thread. So intelligent, in fact, that there is every possibility that it's artificial!

The advent of AI is causing us regular problems. And this thread seems especially prone to them, for reasons unknown.

Chris

Richard and Alan.....A word of warning.

Mods are currently discussing this new member and the very intelligent sounding contribution to the thread. So intelligent, in fact, that there is every possibility that it's artificial!

The advent of AI is causing us regular problems. And this thread seems especially prone to them, for reasons unknown.

Chris
Thank you for the heads up! Did not think about AI but that the comments were level and balanced.

Some of he cottages around the Great Barr Hall estate were the lodges which were occupied by estate workers and are listed buildings designed by the architects used for the main buildings. More details can be found on my Great Bsrr site www.b43.co.uk and the associated Red House Park site www.redhousepark.org.uk
Very nice website! Brought back some memories of Hamstead and the colliery which was still operating circa 1960.

Back