• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Has anyone any idea how I can identify the accurate birth name of one of my Ggrandmothers, Maria Mander?

60sChild

proper brummie kid
She was born in Criggion, United Kingdom, and married John Mander, (1805 Henley in Arden) in either 1820 (which would make her Maria Stanbra, 16 when she married and 39 when she had her first child, which is highly unlikely) or Maria Hemming, Married in 1834, in which case there would have only been a five year gap between her marriage and first (known) child.
To make it more complicated, according to the GRO, Sarah Ann Williams and her sibling's have Hodgetts as the name of their mother in the GRO! Because of this, almost all records from other family trees etc have a Maria Hodgetts who married to an Edward Mander, a completely different person, who appears in other records and censuses with another Maria at the same time as John!
John and Maria were living in Reed's Buildings in Aston Street in 1841 and in that area for subsequent censuses; he was a Tailor who died in 1868.
Maria died in George Road in Erdington in 1880.
Would love to know her name! Any idea?:confused:

in 1841 john and maria aged 35 are in aston st will son william age 1...cant find them on the 51 yet but in 61 also at aston st with daughter sarah ann aged 18

It is possible that Maria was a widow when she married John Mander and she was previously married to a Mr Hemming.

However, there is a marriage for a John Mander to a Mary Austins in Edgbaston 27 Jun 1833. Doesn't explain the mmn as being Hodgetts but circumstantially there are a William and Mary Austin (brother & sister) listed on the 1851 census with birthplace listed as Criggion (Montgomeryshire).

Last edited:
in 1841 john and maria aged 35 are in aston st will son william age 1...cant find them on the 51 yet but in 61 also at aston st with daughter sarah ann aged 18
I've got everything except for exactly what Maria's exact maiden name was, and I can find two likely contenders, one of which
It is possible that Maria was a widow when she married John Mander and she was previously married to a Mr Hemming.

However, there is a marriage for a John Mander to a Mary Austins in Edgbaston 27 Jun 1833. Doesn't explain the mmn as being Hodgetts but circumstantially there are a William and Mary Austin (brother & sister) listed on the 1851 census with birthplace listed as Criggion (Montgomeryshire).
Excellent? I'll have a look at that now:idea:

Neither William or Sarah Ann's births seem to have been registered and all the Mander/Hodgetts (including a different Sarah Ann) are the children of Edward and Hannah Mander.

However, among the baptisms for Mander children with parents John and Maria is a Jane Mander born 2 Nov 1837 and she does have a birth registration and on that her mmn is listed as Hostin which seems a close enough match to confirm the Edgbaston marriage as correct.

Back