• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Colmore Row

A rare sight these days, someone reading a newspaper while walking down the street. More likely anxious to read the latest on the War or financial news. Today, everyone would be on their mobile phones,

View attachment 193312
Remembering Colmore Row like that, as an adolescent growing up, it was the place where formal “things”were done! Because I really had no idea other that it was a very formal and gracious place. I hope that makes some sense to someone else.

Remembering Colmore Row like that, as an adolescent growing up, it was the place where formal “things”were done! Because I really had no idea other that it was a very formal and gracious place. I hope that makes some sense to someone else.

it does to me richard

lyn

Yes, banking, insurance services, etc. were all once along Colmore Row. Definitely where the money was - you've only got to look at the buildings. The buildings that used to be on Galloways Corner (possibly Victoria Square address) before demolition were travel companies. I suppose anyone doing business in Colmore Row, might need travel services close by too. In fact, I think it's was (or still is) known as the finance quarter.

This is one of those hard to believe photos. This was the old junction of Colmore Row/Bull Street/Steelhouse Lane. Snow Hill Station would have been behind the photographer to the right. The B&W image is 1953.

Screenshot_20241004_071149_Chrome.jpgScreenshot_20241004_115815_Maps.jpg

Last edited:
Nearly all the modern photographs of Birmingham seem to portray a distinct lack of pedestrians/shoppers. It gives the impression of many pedestrianised thoroughfares that it is a casual walk about place and hence a poor shopping place.

A few screenshots from YouTube of this very busy corner in 1962. (Afraid poor quality) Don't ever remember Boots having the amber coloured shops. Maybe the film has been colourised.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20241004_132639_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20241004_132639_Chrome.jpg
    180.7 KB · Views: 9
  • Screenshot_20241004_132621_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20241004_132621_Chrome.jpg
    185.1 KB · Views: 9
  • Screenshot_20241004_132641_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20241004_132641_Chrome.jpg
    199.9 KB · Views: 9
Back