• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Yardley Wood

hi my mothers and fathers parents lived on Glastonbury Road they were neighbors I use to love visiting and going through the back gate on to the fields all the gardens were clean and tidy when I was little,it looked pretty rough last time I drove down there such a shame I also remember the Pentecostal church when we walked down Glastonbury Road on a warm Sunday afternoon with mom.

Hi Ivor can’t say I remember you but I was friendly with Geoffrey Broadbent and his sister Betty.
They lived in Pendeen road can’t recall the number but would have been father down the road from you towards Yardley wood road.
Hi Ivor,
I remember your name but can’t recall the face.
I was friends with Geoffrey broardbent we had a common interest in guitars.
Also remember his sister Betty.
Did you go to Yardley wood school Ivor?
I have put a few pictures on the forum which might be of interest to you.
Thanks for getting in touch please post any pictures you may have that would be of interest .

Yardley Wood Social Club. Prince of Wales Lane. My father's yard was behind the shops which were opposite the allotments. We spent more time in the cafe in that row of shops. The Chantelles used to have a practice night in the room above the Warstock pub on the corner. Ace Kefford was in the Chantelles at the time. Blonde guy went and resurfaced in the Move when they made it.

I have fond memories of the yardley wood social Club.They held a dance on a thursday evening for the younsters etc.Live music from bands of the day cant recall any names of the bands though.I guess it was earlie 60s.
My father had an allotment On the corner opposite the Prince of Wales pub in Warstock Lane.Was Chris Kefford Living In Yardley wood at some point?He may have gone to Yardley wood School?

I don't remember the sharabang incident, but I do remember (I think it was) Alan Ainsworth chucking a match or something into the tank of an old car that was abandoned on the grass verge that ran up the middle of Priory Road. He was badly burned around the head and we had the school assembly lecture afterwards. It was also Alan who I remember being dragged around the classroom by his ear in a French lesson (Mrs. Wood?).
I can remember the sharabang in the fields down Scriber's Lane Ford. We called it the dingles Had lots of fun down there with all my school friends boys and girls. I do remember the petrol tank incident and can recall the name Alan Ainsworth he was in the same year at school as me.

Does anyone know about the history of Yardley Wood Library? It's under threat of closure and I was wondering whether its historical value would be sufficient to get it listed and saved. If anyone knows about when it was built, whether the design is anything particularly interesting or special to a particular period, that would be great to know.

Hi and welcome to Birmingham History Forum. There may be other members on the forum who will know more than me about it history. Looking at it on Goolgle Maps its quite an attractive building that I imagine was built about the same time as the social housing adjacent to it.

The government have a strict criteria for listing the building must meet. For example, Grade II buildings are of special interest, warranting every effort to preserve them.

Here is a link to the governments website for guidance.

I don’t think the Victorian society would be interested but Save Britan’s Heritage (S.A.V.E) may. They are quite helpful and have a lot of knowledge.

Most certainly to save a building you have to have a place that tells a story, so researching its history is a good way to go. Have a look on face book or Instagram if you like that sort of thing, there may already be a group, and social media can be quite a powerful too.

Maybe looking at MyCommunity to see how nominate an Asset of Community Value (ACV).

Most certainly the way forward is to help people to take responsibility for the local buildings, artifacts and landscapes they love and help give them the power to transform people, places, and communities.

Do come back if you need any further help

Hi and welcome to Birmingham History Forum. There may be other members on the forum who will know more than me about it history. Looking at it on Goolgle Maps its quite an attractive building that I imagine was built about the same time as the social housing adjacent to it.

The government have a strict criteria for listing the building must meet. For example, Grade II buildings are of special interest, warranting every effort to preserve them.

Here is a link to the governments website for guidance.

I don’t think the Victorian society would be interested but Save Britan’s Heritage (S.A.V.E) may. They are quite helpful and have a lot of knowledge.

Most certainly to save a building you have to have a place that tells a story, so researching its history is a good way to go. Have a look on face book or Instagram if you like that sort of thing, there may already be a group, and social media can be quite a powerful too.

Maybe looking at MyCommunity to see how nominate an Asset of Community Value (ACV).

Most certainly the way forward is to help people to take responsibility for the local buildings, artifacts and landscapes they love and help give them the power to transform people, places, and communities.

Do come back if you need any further help
Thank you for your help. I want it to remain council-run, rather than relying on volunteers to do what should be a properly-paid job for librarians, but anything people can add about the historic value would be appreciated to add to its moder-day value to the community.

Yardley wood Library is a grade A locally listed building - not sure exactly what this means but it is on the list. (S is the area team responsible).
1726922332432.png

Gtsfr A mans
Grade A: Buildings of statutory list quality, although not currently nationally listed. We will seek national listing or serve a Building Preservation Notice if it is imminently threatened.

The Grade A is a Local Heritage List and is a process developed by Historic England to allow community groups, local authorities and other interested groups to identify local heritage assets that may not have been deemed sufficiently significant to be added to the National Heritage List for England.

I don’t really know if this is sufficient to prevent demolition, but it may help prevent it.

You need to think carefully now what you are aiming to achieve and be brutally honest with yourself if it is, or what is possible.

You also need to be brutal and think of a plan B, the minimum you would settle for if things do not go to plan.

Also think about the things you can and can not influence. If I’m honest, its most unlikely you will get your way thinking you would like it to remain council-run, rather than relying on volunteers to do what should be a properly-paid job for librarians.

With any historic building, be it council owned or private, it’s all about the money. Renovation costs, maintenance cost and day to day ongoing running costs.

I spent a lot of time rescuing an historic Grade II* listed waterworks building from a developer. It was a great triumph only equalled by its monumental failure when the blue boiler suite brigade took over the site and started their restoration job of slapping paint and oil over everything in sight. Taking things to bits just to see how they worked, breaking parts one the way and doing a lot of compulsory mansplaining to any poor visitor.

The bottom line from Historic England is that they will be more than happy to see the building put to an alternative reuse. Therefore, they would be happy with it being in private hands if a sustainable and financially viable community based alternative does not happen

It's good to see so much interest in Yardley Wood. I have an ancestor buried at Christ Church (I think it is) so would be very interested in knowing more about Yardley Wood, how it started and its history. Good luck with your research, everyone, and please keep us posted.

Back