• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Scams: telephone, email, texts 2023, 2024

A fella named Dr Solomon launched home anti-virus software. In an interview he said he regretted using the word virus because its a 'panic' word and hypes people up.
For what it's worth I ised to go to IT trade shows at the NEC back in the 90s. At one point Dr Solomon was there running his stand and I may have talked to him. Trouble was that in those days the internet was still dial-up and the computers I was dealing with were mostly dumb terminals that had no internet connection.

Just answered a call on my mobile from a mobile number. (I am expecting a call).
American voice claiming to be from HMRC about a letter they sent which had been returned.
As they don't have my number I cut off the call. Have reported it and blocked the number.

Just answered a call on my mobile from a mobile number. (I am expecting a call).
American voice claiming to be from HMRC about a letter they sent which had been returned.
As they don't have my number I cut off the call. Have reported it and blocked the number.
That’s the worse part when you are expecting a call you don’t want to miss it!

Scams are everywhere, whether through phone calls, emails, or texts. It's getting harder to know what's real and what's not. I’ve had my fair share of these annoying calls and messages, especially in 2023 and 2024. It’s like they’re getting more intelligent, but so are we. One thing I’ve found super helpful is using whocalled.co.uk . It’s a great site where you can check unknown numbers, and it’s saved me from picking up a scam call more than once. It’s easy to fall for these scams, especially when they sound convincing. My best advice is to double-check and never give out personal info unless you know who you’re dealing with.

Last edited:
Just had a text message:

"Your car has received a parking ticket . To avoid additional fines and potential legal action, please pay the penalty immediately" that is followed by a https:/qrco.de/bf...?..HSQ that for some reason (possibly because I'm very confident, that I haven't parked anywhere illegally), I won't be rushing to press.. :rolleyes:

They don't give up do they? No mention of my car registration or of when/where this happened and I won't be clicking on any dodgy link to find out. Isn't taking our winter fuel allowance off us enough?:laughing:

Wikipaedia sent me an e-mail regarding my recent donation, which i didn't make, requesting a further donation. Deleted.
Another, today, was to update reddit - whatever that is - also deleted.
No calls here with unknown people or worse still those so called surveys are answered.

I've just deleted an email purportedly informing me that my Microsoft Cloud storage is full. It provided a tab for me to put it right, etc. Lots wrong with it, first being it used my email name and not my Microsoft account name. Also, I opted out of Cloud storage on set-up. If I'd clicked the tab I'd obviously have had to supply my Microsoft account details and pretty much hand access over to whoever was collecting the info. Tricky world, computers.

Had the parking fine scam yesterday, re post #188. Reported it. Note the government website would never contact by email on this, only by hard copy through the post. It's very convincing, so beware.

Had the parking fine scam yesterday, re post #188. Reported it. Note the government website would never contact by email on this, only by hard copy through the post. It's very convincing, so beware.
I had another one too, mentioning the council this time, but not which one. From a slightly different number this time, which is now also blocked.

Back