• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

The Stores Public House

AndyFarren

Brummie babby
I wonder if anyone can help me identify the location, or any information about this pub EDIT Off Licence (Not necessarily a pub), I believe to be or have been somewhere in Birmingham. The photo shows the owner/ licencee outside - Fanny Farren - my Great grandmother, taken possibly around 1920ish. Her husband was Charles Fehrenbach who died in 1908 from a hernia caused by lifting a beer barrel, and the family name was changed to Farren by deed poll in 1919. The census lists them as living in the Aston area, and also Ladywood. I see there is a pub in Harborne called The Stores, but the photo doesn't look like this one. 459323311_10164204682763916_4046702934330685038_n.jpg

Attachments

• 459126395_10164204683098916_106309737907338443_n.jpg
    459126395_10164204683098916_106309737907338443_n.jpg
    151.7 KB · Views: 12
Last edited:
Theres was an M & B pub in Anderton Street, Ladywood called The Stores.

William.
Thank-you - I did a Google search for M&B pubs in Birmingham and there's a big reference site here. It mentions these too:
Stores, Lichfield Road, Aston. Closed 1938.
The Stores (off- licence), Cox Street West, Balsall Heath
Harborne Stores (ex Stores Inn), 109 High Street, Harborne
The Stores, Anderton Street, Ladywood

Thank-you - I did a Google search for M&B pubs in Birmingham and there's a big reference site here. It mentions these too:
I think that is the same site I looked at.

William.

I think I can rule out the Balsall Heath one as there is a photo of it in this post here https://www.birminghamforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=6544.44

In 1921 she is listed as a beer retailer at 1 Port Hope Road, Camp Hill.
By 1932 she was listed as beer retailer (off) 238 and 240 Spring Road Acocks Green. The licence in the photo is for consumption OFF the premises. So not a pub but an off licence

Trying to see if I can find her in between those dates

Last edited:
Looking at 238 Spring Road today I think it might be the right place. Upper windows/chimney and door look right
Sorry can't get streetview to post from my phone.

Last edited:
Looking at 238 Spring Road today I think it might be the right place. Upper windows/chimney and door look right
Sorry can't get streetview to post from my phone.

yes definately the same place jan...if you look at the below street view to the right of the fish bar we can see the 2 lines of white painted brickwork which is also visible in the old photo

lyn

My goodness Janice and Lyn, thank you so much for this amazing dectective work, its definitely the same place. I see its just adjacent to Acocks Green, she owned the house there on Westley Road that eventually passed to my father and where I was born at home in 1958. I can't thank you enough for this. May I ask in what directory is she listed, I would like to add it to the sources in my Family Tree research.

Attachments

• 240 Spring Road.jpg
    240 Spring Road.jpg
    224.7 KB · Views: 7
When I put my laptop on I wlli copy the entries and paste them
She is listed on the eroll there as well as in Kelly's directory (a sort of yellow pages of its day with a bit more).

Last edited:
May I ask another favour, in my Family History her husband Charles Leo died of a double hernia from lifting a beer barrel in Fanny's off-licence in 1908. Is Fanny listed as a beer retailer anywhere in 1908? It might be as surname Fehrenbach.

1908 directory still at 64 Alston Street but as a grocer and retailer.
Next online is 1913 and entry has changed to same address but Mrs Fanny Fehrenbach as just a grocer. Same entry in 1915 - I assume she wasn't granted a licence.

1908 directory still at 64 Alston Street but as a grocer and retailer.
Next online is 1913 and entry has changed to same address but Mrs Fanny Fehrenbach as just a grocer. Same entry in 1915 - I assume she wasn't granted a licence.
This is possibly why the name change - the Fehrenbach's were from Germany and 1915 wasn't a good year to be regarded as German in Britain. Also the dodgy scales didn't help either.

Last edited:
So who died in 1925? That must have been when she moved to Spring Road.
That would have been her son Francis, my grandfather. He died 2 months before my dad was born in June. Here's a photo of Francis I was working on cleaning up yesterday, guessing he was in his teens at time of photo, and he was 27 when he died of TB. So in 2025 we can count 100 years from his death and my Dad's birth (he passed in 2008).

Attachments

• Francis Joseph Fehrenbach.jpg
    Francis Joseph Fehrenbach.jpg
    536.9 KB · Views: 4
Last edited:
The newspaper are from the newspaper archive - free to search but subscribe to read.

Everything else from Ancestry

Back