• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Lordswood Boys' Technical School

Hi Ian, I remember Miss Vigart teaching German, but what subject did Steve Austin and yourself teach? Is Helen Minovi, Jean Hall, Margaret Crossland still with us.
HI
I taught Biology with JD Beale and Steve Austin taught History. Helen still lives in Mosely the rest i do not know.

Hi - a bit late to the party, but my Dad went to Lordswood from 1960/61. Unsure when he left but likely 1966. I've already found him on a couple photos, so thanks for posting - amazing stuff! My dad was Clifford Toogood. Sadly he passed in 2005. Anyway, I've a number of the old 'Service' books from that period but here's a photo of the Rugby under 13 from 1961/1962. My dad is 5th from left, top row.

Attachments

• IMG_0688.jpeg
    IMG_0688.jpeg
    257.7 KB · Views: 14
Last edited:
Hi - a bit late to the party, but my Dad went to Lordswood from 1960/61. Unsure when he left but likely 1966. I've already found him on a couple photos, so thanks for posting - amazing stuff! My dad was Clifford Toogood. Sadly he passed in 2005. Anyway, I've a number of the old 'Service' books from that period but here's a photo of the Rugby under 13 from 1961/1962. My dad is 5th from left, top row.
Welcome Davetoog and thank you for posting. If you are able to, it would be wonderful to see one of the service books.

Yes, welcome Dave. So sorry to hear of your dad's passing. He was a big, quiet chap. Me and your dad started Lordswood in Form 1S on the same day - here's the cast list....as best I can remember....Martin Abel, Paul Ahearn, John Bickerton, Bill Burton, Paul Cain, Keith Campbell, Richard Cherry, Mick Coates, Graham Comley, Martin Freeman, Griffith Gore, Ian Haynes, Dave Hill, Victor Hutchings, John Johnstone, David Jones, Dave Lane, Colin Lewis, Peter Moore, Nigel Moreton, Chris Newman, Tony Poulton, David Ratcliffe, David Rodgers, Mick Roe, Dennis Royston, Garry Stokes, Keith Stringer, Ken Summerfield, Cliff Toogood, Martyn Truman, Richard Turner, Colin Twigg, and John Walsh. Our form teacher was Mr R M Long. I'm in touch with Garry Stokes most days, and Graham Comley most years - they used to travel the same bus route as your dad - and called him Toggs? I know the whereabouts of 5 others but haven't really kept in touch. I still have a soft spot for the old school. Shame it's been rebuilt recently - I used to like popping back for the odd Open Day. Bill Burton.

Yes I will certainly post some photos of the Service Books - I've 3, to my recollection.

And thanks for the info, Bill, always great to hear tid-bits likes this. I know my dad was not a huge fan of Mr Harkness. He told a story about an altercation they had in a classroom once which say my dad push him! At least, that's the story, with perhaps some creative license.

I've been looking for photos for ages, so it was great to come across the 2 on this site. I've contacted Lordswood a couple times in the past but never heard from them. Do you have any from other form years?

I have the school Service magazines for 1962, 63, 64, 65, and 66. I loaned 1961 to someone and never saw it again. I'll have to have a fresh look through them now for "C. Toogood" mentions. I never had any run-ins with Mr Harkness. I did stop him in his tracks once though when he was preaching during a school assembly - I passed out and dropped to my knees with a loud crack - I was bundled into the medical room - we carried on going to school in those days even with quite serious illnesses? The only official school photos I have is the one of 1S in Post 31 and one of me later on in the short-lived school hockey team. I never did get the hang of rugby - just got damaged in the scrum nearly every time I played!

:D I'm with you on the rugby front. I was always left on the floor after a scrum.

I have 3 Service books and they'll be the same as you have I reckon, but I'll upload the covers shortly. My dad is mentioned in a couple of them for rugby and sprinting. Yes, so I've been looking for photos of my dad for some time. The only one I had was the rugby photo, which I found on Friends Reunited (there were quite a few old photos on that site which would have done well to be here), and I always knew there had to be more out there. So chuffed to see these 'new' ones. The search continues for more!

Thank you to BillBrum, Geoff Broughton and others for kindly posting the staff photo and suggesting names and subjects. If it might help, a couple of us who were at Lordswood from 1970-77 have annotated the photo and updated the list. We would agree mid-seventies perhaps a little earlier ’73-75. Best efforts, may be mistakes.
Standing left to right:
1 man 2 Ken Woods - Physics 3 John Koppel - Science 4 Margaret Crossland – English 5 John Enefer - English & Library 6 Steve Austin - History 7 Clive White - Technical Drawing 8 man 9 Griffiths – Metalwork, Technical Drawing 10 man 11 Mytton 12 George Foley - PE 13 Sid Hart - Woodwork 14 Ron Walker 15 Mike Rhodes - Science 16 woman 17 Brenda Havercraft - Biology 18 Long - German 19 man 20 Derek Hepton - Chemistry 21 Harrington - Technical Drawing 22 Peter Pooley - RE 23 John(?) Reid - English and Deputy Head 24 John Beale - Biology 25 Frank Kirby - Maths, Accounts, Business Studies 26 Gilbert Jones – PE and Deputy Head
Sitting left to right:
27 woman 28 man 29 Terry Midworth - Maths 30 Dai George - Metalwork 31 Hans Rheinstein 32 Tim Evans - English 33 Ralph Husson - History 34 Geoff Sharrat - Geography / Geology 35 Dodgson - German 36 Betts - Metalwork 37 Chris Lee - Music 38 woman 39 man - Music 40 Helen Minovi - German? French 41 Irwen Hobbs - Art 42 Janet Morgan - Lab Technician 43 Richard Williams - Physics 44 Heath - Caretaker 45 woman - Secretary 46 woman - Secretary

View attachment 181373
What a rogues gallery! I was at the school from Jan 70 to 1976, Telford house. some of those names I have no memory of at all.

It's good to know my 50+ year old memory was reasonably spot on. Fortunately, I don't recognise any of the names mentioned in the magazine but I still remember one of the team putting the original mirror under the tap and cracking it! I was keen on Astronomy when I went to LBTS and was always intrigued as to why someone had gone to the trouble of building the Observatory and then not fitting it out with a telescope. It would certainly be interesting to see a picture of the telescope that I played a hand in building?
I recall the Physics teacher, mass of ginger Curley hair told us he had personally ground the mirror for the observatory with two slabs of glass and carborundum paste rubbing together in a circular motion to create one convex and one concave mirror, how true that was is up for some conjecture

Service book covers - 63, 64 and 65. A surprising amount of info in them.

Attachments

• IMG_0696.jpeg
    IMG_0696.jpeg
    352 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_0695.jpeg
    IMG_0695.jpeg
    462.4 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_0694.jpeg
    IMG_0694.jpeg
    460.7 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_0697.jpeg
    IMG_0697.jpeg