• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Overton Place

hello, I believe the house was called a maisonette at the time..lol. I always wondered what it meant.
Maisonette refers to an upstairs flat which has its front door downstairs at ground level.
So you usually have 2 flats one above the other but both have front doors on the ground floor - sometimes side by side.

Maisonette refers to an upstairs flat which has its front door downstairs at ground level.
So you usually have 2 flats one above the other but both have front doors on the ground floor - sometimes side by side.

I don't recall there being stairs to go up to a upstairs flat, they must have been on the ground floor.

The list in post #25 is the 1939 electoral roll.
Thanks
We are trying to solve a mystery - the lady, Edith Gladys Jeffery, was living with my grandfather but was not our grandmother. We are trying to figure out when the real grandmother left. My grandfather wasn't on the electoral roll apparently, but her name might be, so i could search through. She appears on the 1939 register somewhere else. Her name was Margaret Sperduti/o/e - sp was altered a few times.

hi annette this is the 1939 eve of war register. for no 4 overton place..no sign of an antony sperduti but there is a vincent sperduti and your grandmother edith gladys jeffery..as you can see the surname jeffery is crossed out and replaced by the name sperduti so that means she married a sperduti date of marr given is 1952...not sure who vincent is ?

lyn

tna_r39_5544_5544d_006.jpg

hi annette this is the 1939 eve of war register. for no 4 overton place..no sign of an antony sperduti but there is a vincent sperduti and your grandmother edith gladys jeffery..as you can see the surname jeffery is crossed out and replaced by the name sperduti so that means she married a sperduti date of marr given is 1952...not sure who vincent is ?

lyn

View attachment 194735
Vincent seems to be the eldest son of Vincent and Margaret - the grandmother in question.

Thanks
We are trying to solve a mystery - the lady, Edith Gladys Jeffery, was living with my grandfather but was not our grandmother. We are trying to figure out when the real grandmother left. My grandfather wasn't on the electoral roll apparently, but her name might be, so i could search through. She appears on the 1939 register somewhere else. Her name was Margaret Sperduti/o/e - sp was altered a few times.
Where was Margaret living on the 1939 register?

this seems to be vincents marriage to margaret thompson 1915
Name Vincent Sperduto
Spouse Surname Thompson
Registration Year 1915
[1915]
Registration Quarter Apr-May-Jun
Registration district Aston
Inferred County Warwickshire
Volume 6d
Page 1269
Records on Page (Name)
Antony Alfonso
Annie E Green
Vincent Sperduto
Margaret Thompson

right jan so at some point either vincent left margaret or margaret left vincent and he then went to live with edith as on the 39 register..

as you say maybe annette could let us know where margaret was living on the 39 as like you i cant find her

lyn

right jan so at some point either vincent left margaret or margaret left vincent and he then went to live with edith as on the 39 register..

as you say maybe annette could let us know where margaret was living on the 39 as like you i cant find her

lyn
This is correct, according to some family members memories anyway. Margaret was registered under another name ( Vinnicombe) in 1939 and on her original death certificate. The death certificate was then later updated by Vincenzo (aka Vincent) to indicate that she was in fact Margaret Sperduti (o) i.e his wife when she died.
There is another name on the death certificate, a Beatrice Iddles listed as sister - her maiden name was Thomas.
So in 1939 my dad's name appears nowhere, I requested information as he is deceased but they could not find him. This is me thinking he might have already been evacuated to Wales ( something he told us). I am wondering if I use the street adress on my dad and his siblings birth certificates, I might be able to look at the nearby schools and maybe get a clue from them - total long shot!
this seems to be vincents marriage to margaret thompson 1915
Name Vincent Sperduto
Spouse Surname Thompson
Registration Year 1915
[1915]
Registration Quarter Apr-May-Jun
Registration district Aston
Inferred County Warwickshire
Volume 6d
Page 1269
Records on Page (Name)
Antony Alfonso
Annie E Green
Vincent Sperduto
Margaret Thompson
Yes I have a copy of this marraiage certificate. However the name Thompson may be incorrect, her sister's maiden name is listed as Thomas

Last edited:
Dad's address on his birth certificate was 4 back of Fox street Birmingham, St Bartholomews sub district.
i would have to check the adress on the youngest childs ( Andrew) birth record.

Thanks Annette for the updates. Lyn and I wondered about evacuation but nothing came up.
Will do some more digging especially with those other names.
What address was Margaret living at when she died?

Yes I have a copy of this marraiage certificate. However the name Thompson may be incorrect, her sister's maiden name is listed as Thomas
Does the certificate give her Father's name? Do the witness names provide any clue?
Sorry for all the questions but the more info we have the more it helps in any search.

That's great. Just curious to see if she put Alfred (with different surname) or something completely different.
Witness names are also often good for pintpointng relatives.
One final thing. How old does Margaret claim to be when she marries?

Last edited:
That's great. Just curious to see if she put Alfred (with different surname) or something completely different.
Witness names are also often good for pintpointng relatives.
One final thing. How old does Margaret claim to be when she marries?
Margaret claims to be 21 when she married Vincenzo, however her death in 1946 puts her at 46 years old. i think there may have been a bit of fibbing going on :)

Thanks Annette for the updates. Lyn and I wondered about evacuation but nothing came up.
Will do some more digging especially with those other names.
What address was Margaret living at when she died?
It doesn't say as she died in hospital, I would likely have to check the electoral roll for Robert Vinnicombe for where he was before being called up in 1945 and was shipped off to India, I doubt Margaret was on the eroll but ir's worth a look.

Thanks for replying - it all helps.
Another question - where did you get the name Robert Vinnicombe from? Perhaps the original death cert? I assume that was who Margaret was living with.
Surprised it doesn't have a home address as well on death cert.

Last edited:
In 1945 the only Robert Vinnicombe on the Birmingham eroll is at 172 Round Road listed with a Rebecca Vinnicombe.
In 1939 he seems to be in James Turner Street.
I assume that is the father of the Robert listed with a Margaret on 1939 reg when they seem to be in Halesowen so won't be on Birmingham eroll.

Last edited:
Thanks for replying - it all helps.
Another question - where did you get the name Robert Vinnicombe from? Perhaps the original death cert? I assume that was who Margaret was living with.
Surprised it doesn't have a home address as well on death cert.
The Vinnicombe was listed as Margaret’s husband on her original death certificate. There’s also a military number which I traced his military records. Seems he was called up in 1945 and was sent to India. He returned in 1947

In 1945 the only Robert Vinnicombe on the Birmingham eroll is at 172 Round Road listed with a Rebecca Vinnicombe.
In 1939 he seems to be in James Turner Street.
I assume that is the father of the Robert listed with a Margaret on 1939 reg when they seem to be in Halesowen so won't be on Birmingham eroll.
Our Vinnicombe had been called up and went to India in 1945 according to his military record

Back