• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Birmingham Evening Mail Garage

kazhutt11

Brummie babby
Back in the late 1970's my Dad worked as a mechanic for the Evening Mail, I cannot for the life of me remember the road it was located on, it was somewhere behind Aston University I believe, but this could be wrong. I can see the building quite clearly in my mind as Mom would drive into town and pick Dad up from work. Can anyone help with the location please? Later on the vans moved to Printing House Lane, again I can remember collecting him from there as well. Dad's no longer with me and he's been on my mind a lot lately and I was just trying to piece some bits together. Thanks in advance for any help offered.

hi and welcome...here is a street view of printing house street no sign of a garage...and i cant help with the garages location that you say was somewhere near aston university before moving to printing house st..dont give up though as someone may recall where it was

lyn

Cannot help with the Earlier site, but with regard to :yn s comment, the post and mail is a little further down the street. Now there is this car park ScreenHunter 497.jpg

But I suspect that the earlier (2014) view shows the entrance to the garage at the same position, probably underground

ScreenHunter 498.jpg

Re. The later Printing House Street premises - these are not the same as today's building. The former (Madin) Post and Mail building was demolished in 2005/6 and subsequently rebuilt.

I used to work next door to the P&M building in Fountain Court in the 1970s and, although I remember the vans coming and going, I don't remember the garage entrance being like it is today.

This film might be of interest, particularly at 3.07 mins into the film

https://www.macearchive.org/films/atv-today-27091965-new-post-and-mail-building. Screenshot from the film below.

Screenshot_20240906_072617_Chrome.jpg

Back in the late 1970's my Dad worked as a mechanic for the Evening Mail, I cannot for the life of me remember the road it was located on, it was somewhere behind Aston University I believe, but this could be wrong. I can see the building quite clearly in my mind as Mom would drive into town and pick Dad up from work. Can anyone help with the location please? Later on the vans moved to Printing House Lane, again I can remember collecting him from there as well. Dad's no longer with me and he's been on my mind a lot lately and I was just trying to piece some bits together. Thanks in advance for any help offered.
The garage used to be in Holt Street.

Two of my workmates from Watsons Broad Street went to work at the Mail garage, brothers, both mechanics, Bill and John McMahon, I once called in there to see them but I'm damned if I can remember where it was or the date.. :confused:

Re. The later Printing House Street premises - these are not the same as today's building. The former (Madin) Post and Mail building was demolished in 2005/6 and subsequently rebuilt.

I used to work next door to the P&M building in Fountain Court in the 1970s and, although I remember the vans coming and going, I don't remember the garage entrance being like it is today.

This film might be of interest, particularly at 3.07 mins into the film

https://www.macearchive.org/films/atv-today-27091965-new-post-and-mail-building. Screenshot from the film below.

View attachment 194709
Interesting: why was it demolished in 2005, 40 years it was supposed to last a 100? Was there a technology shift?

Back