• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Birmingham?

Hi
i’m interested if anyone could help with where about this would be i’m hoping it is Birmingham interested in what the buildings are behind the children also a date for the photo would be helpful thank you

They are by a cobbled street which could be anywhere, the kids clothes look a bit scruffy but that not really a good clue, could be 1950's, the boys hair looks like an attempt to copy a pop star :D

Yes, agree probably c1950s, or earliest c1940s. The street lamp behind the girl doesn't look typically Birmingham, although I did wonder if it was by a railway station having that type of lamp. The position of the chimneys to the right suggests to me that this is a road running alongside an embankment. Just a hunchl

lovely photo..maybe sister and brother looks like they are holding hands...do you know the names of them please

lyn

Do you know who the children are and if they have connections to you, could you give a very rough idea of whereabouts in Birmingham that they may have lived? Few of us would have got away with the lad's haircut by the way, it's some way off the usual short back and sides, isn't it? ;)

Hi
I almost certain they are my Mom & Twin brother i know my grandad was a coalman my Mom told me she used to enjoy feeding the horse would that be where the horse was kept ? if so it was behind the football grounds Blues there are so many similarities with the 2 children

Hi
I almost certain they are my Mom & Twin brother i know my grandad was a coalman my Mom told me she used to enjoy feeding the horse would that be where the horse was kept ? if so it was behind the football grounds Blues there are so many similarities with the 2 children

delicate question but if they are of your mom and her twin brother are you no longer able to ask them

lyn

My Uncle is with us but don’t recognise the children he’s in his 80s he only remembers bits and bobs my grandad was a coalman and had a yard at the back of the blues ground with a horse my Mom would tell me she would go help feed the horse my Uncles daughters my cousins agree there is similarities with the children in the photo i have a pic of my Mom on another site when she’s 17ish and they look a like my grandchildren also have similarities to them also

My Uncle is with us but don’t recognise the children he’s in his 80s he only remembers bits and bobs my grandad was a coalman and had a yard at the back of the blues ground with a horse my Mom would tell me she would go help feed the horse my Uncles daughters my cousins agree there is similarities with the children in the photo i have a pic of my Mom on another site when she’s 17ish and they look a like my grandchildren also have similarities to them also

very good chance that is is your mom and uncle then...i am taking into account the cobbles which horses would have walked down and that shed like building to the left of the photo...could that have been used to stable the horse...quite possible..

lyn

Perhaps if you can tell us your grandad's address or name someone may be able to compare the picture to the maps of the time and see if any of the buildings match.

nice photo of your grandad...looks like he is standing outside a church..button hole white carnation maybe at a wedding...anyhow thanks for his name and addresses leave it with us will will see what we can find out for you

lyn

I also wondered, if it wasn't near a railway station (the nearest being Bordesley) maybe it was by the canal. Was there a coalyard, near the canal not far from St Andrews ground?

Wondering if the single storey building to the right is a (railway) coal yard office ? Has the look of one. The building behind it is single storey too. So not residential, but industrial. And it seems to me the children are far over to the left in the photo, possibly because the photographer wanted the buildings in the photo too.

Last edited:
There was a lot of activity moving coal in the area around Bordesley Station and the canal. Could the photo have been taken somewhere in that vicinity ? (ie at one of the coal offices for either the railway or canal)

Something else I've just noticed in the photo. Is the item on the extreme left of the photo with the white handles, a pram ?

Last edited:
i’m not sure if that’s the handles of a pram as they were the youngest but they do have a older brother i couldn’t find my grandads yard listed in kelly’s directory

This is why I thought it was a pram, see red dot's for handle and brake (on the wheel). And there appears to be a bag hanging on the handle.

If it is a pram, the style helps to more confidently date the photo to the 1950s.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240830_210705_Google.jpg
    Screenshot_20240830_210705_Google.jpg
    243.3 KB · Views: 9
Last edited:
The lie of the land and the buildings far off in the distance put me in mind of the bottom of Bolton Road, Small Heath as it goes down to Coventry Road. Just speculation though.

Back