• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

127 Church Lane, Handsworth (1948) Mandalay Nursing Maternity Home

All very interesting about the house on Church Road!
We lived in Wood Lane off Handsworth Wood Road so very near. As Viv mentioned, I read somewhere that Steve Winwood was born at that address so I had a look on Google, I assumed the family must have lived in the house, or part of it, in 1948.
I never knew it had once been a Nursing Home!

hi sparks without wishing to blow the forums own trumpet we do have some very good researchers...not many mysteries we cant solve (but we do get the odd one of course)

lyn

All very interesting about the house on Church Road!
We lived in Wood Lane off Handsworth Wood Road so very near. As Viv mentioned, I read somewhere that Steve Winwood was born at that address so I had a look on Google, I assumed the family must have lived in the house, or part of it, in 1948.
I never knew it had once been a Nursing Home!
Yes, the W family were living in the same road in Kingstanding as we lived from at least the 1940s, we all went to the same junior school.

I was surprised I couldn't find many references to the house, and wondered if it was a.nursing/maternity home for only a short while or with a different name from the 1950s. Perhaps after 1948 and the introduction of the NHS, it changed things for the home.

At the time it was common to have home births with a visiting midwife, so I wondered whether going into a nursing home at that time was for a particular reason.

Last edited:
Yes, the W family were living in the same road in Kingstanding as we lived from at least the 1940s, we all went to the same junior school.

I was surprised I couldn't find many references to the house, and wondered if it was a.nursing/maternity home for only a short while or with a different name from the 1950s. Perhaps after 1948 and the introduction of the NHS, it changed things for the home.

At the time it was common to have home births with a visiting midwife, so I wondered whether going into a nursing home at that time was for a particular reason.
Ah right, I knew the family lived in Kingstanding in the 60s, just assumed they lived in Handsworth originally.

Thank you to everyone who helped with this! At least I'll be able to start to trace who has the records now!
I did look at National Archives which usually tells you if records are held at Birmingham Archives and I drew a blank.
It may be that being private different rules applied.
Also don't forget records are under the 100 year rule so even if you find where they are you may not be able to view them.
Please let us know if you get anywhere.

Back