• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

66 Leopold Street, Birmingham

Mark_Ellis

Brummie babby
Hi, I'm new to this.
I'm researching British military portable/Field cooking equipment.
I'm currently researching George Fowler, a soldier based in Kent when he took out a number of patents.
I know that he took out one patent addressed to a property in Cardiff, which turns out to be an in-law's address. Clearly an attempt to hide it from the army, even though he was already celebrated for the Field cooker that he patented.
1724157161478.png

I've come across this one, for Birmingham.

1724157200827.png
I'm wondering if anyone can give me the names of people living at 66 Leopold Street, Birmingham between 1892 and 1894, please.
It would be most appreciated.

The actual patent is at https://worldwide.espacenet.com/patent/search?q=pn=GB189321702A
Many thanks

Thank you, @brummy-lad and @mikejee for the incredibly fast response.
George Fowler that I'm looking at was born in Leicester, in 1855. Died 1925
I know that he employed a nephew, Joseph, who in 1913 had learnt the trade and set up what became Fowler Vacola in Australia in 1913.
So it's possible that this is another of George's patents from a different address.
I'll go back to the relative of George that I've found, and ask him now.
Many thanks
1724159634258.png

you may also be interested in this thread for leopold st...it does contain a few old photos and maps of the st before it was demolished..read from post 1 so that you do not miss anything...click on link below

lyn

Am I missing something? The George Fowler who lived at 66 Leopold St is not the same as the one born in Oadby (as can be seen from the 1881 census scan). There doesn't appear to be any obvious connection between the 2 families.

I couldn't find a connection either although a coincidence if the George who used 66 as an address wasn't related. That is why I posted 1881 census with a son George.
Not sure how OP knows the Oadby info.

• Appreciate
Reactions: MWS
Am I missing something? The George Fowler who lived at 66 Leopold St is not the same as the one born in Oadby (as can be seen from the 1881 census scan). There doesn't appear to be any obvious connection between the 2 families.
@MWS because the Oadby George Fowler had previously used a completely different address than to where he actually lived to register a patent (the Cardiff house being occupied by a Lee) in 1900, I wondered if Oadby George Fowler had used another relative in 1893 to register another patent of his. He was a soldier until 1903, and had one patent possibly turned down in 1885 due to being a solider.
The Field cookers were made by E Lee co whilst George was in the army, E Lee being his wife's maiden name.

• Appreciate
I couldn't find a connection either although a coincidence if the George who used 66 as an address wasn't related. That is why I posted 1881 census with a son George.
Not sure how OP knows the Oadby info.
George Fowler is known as the father of bottling food to preserve it. He made the bottles, and sealing tops - which started business in his wife's name - as serving soldiers are not allowed to have companies in their name.

Book 5.jpg

The question remains:
Is the Oadby George using the Leopold St address?
or
Is the Leopold St George also applying for patents?
Mystery

The question remains:
Is the Oadby George using the Leopold St address?
or
Is the Leopold St George also applying for patents?
Mystery

Well, that's the mystery, and why I joined this forum.
I think the Oadby George might be using the Leopold address.

Someone called George Fowler, a manufacturer, submitted a patent in November 1893, from 66 Leopold Street.
1724166326252.png

I now know that a George Fowler lived at the property in 1881, but was not there in 1891.
I can't read the job description, but think it says Blinds maker.

As background - There is only one patent ever submitted by a George Fowler at the Cardiff address, and we know the address was only occupied by Lee, an in-law relative of Oadby George Fowler, and not by anyone called Fowler either side of 1900. No other patent is ever submitted by George Fowler at the Cardiff address, or anyone else living at the Cardiff address. So it's easy to see that Oadby George used the Cardiff address on that one occasion.

So, turning to the Leopold Address. There has only ever been one patent applied for at 66 Leopold Street, and only one patent by a George Fowler in the whole of Birmingham relating to food through this period.

So it's possible - but yet to be confirmed, that whilst there was a George Fowler living at 66 Leopold Street in 1881, he may have died or moved out long before 1891, and Oadby George Fowler (being a soldier) might have used a relative's address of 66 Leopold Street to avoid questions at camp.

I've emailed the Fowler family member, who can look into any family in Birmingham at that time.

As the father of the George Fowler of Leopold St was a Beer Retailer doesn't it seem plausible that his son would invent a device for barrels?

Thanks Mike but I was trying to find the son George from the 1881 census (post 5). As you can see he is no longer at Leopold Street in 1891.

I can't see him in 1901 or 1911. I can see a George of a similar age with wife Sarah but he's a different person.

It's the same in 1911 and the same boarder is still there. She appears to have been married before George and (as can been seen) the 2 children are previous husbands.

She appears to die in 1922, listed as Jenkins.

yes i agree mark...1911 down as married no sign of george son down on this on as william hudson...living at woodfield avenue camp hill

• Appreciate
Back