• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Priory Road Yardley Wood/Solihull

pjmburns

master brummie
It always fascinates me when I come across pictures (or often postcards) of places I know now.
This is the view of Priory Road that I know today - taken near Trittiford Mill
1724147207891.png
Street view link for those of you who like to "walk" the road

Last edited:
Last edited:
Wonder who lived in the Mill and Farm - who was the last occupant? I feel a search of the censuses is needed.

For anyone more interested in motor transport- apparently there was a bus terminus on Priory Road. I think that is Trittiford Park on the left.
Priory Road terminus.JPG

1954 map shows Windmill cottage opposite the disused Mill but are the buildings visible on the map in Priory Road the Farm? I can't find the farm marked on a map.
1724151372319.png
The cottage is still there dated 1897

1724151420133.png

1724151445523.png

I agree it would be the other end of Priory Road from my view in post 1.
Just past the view you have posted Priory Road goes to the left and straight on takes you past Windmill Cottage
It is the view in post 1 I know best

The modern photos of Priory Road I am not familiar with. The road has been widened a there are less trees than I remember. I was fond of the old windmill and was glad to have left the area before its demolition.
Post,#5, shows the bus terminus for the 18A route at The Valley near Trittiford Park as Janice thought.

I think the area was known as The Valley, in transport circles: possibly an abbreviation of Happy Valley. The pub seems to date from 1927.

The 18 route, formerly 18A, underwent many changes over the year, both in Yardley Wood and beyond at Northfield. That may explain matters.

I remember going to the farm with my grandmother in the early 1940’s to visit relatives who worked at the farm and lived there in a small cottage. Their names were Martin and his wife Doris and they had a young son called Martin. Their job was looking after the pigs.

I remember going to the farm with my grandmother in the early 1940’s to visit relatives who worked at the farm and lived there in a small cottage. Their names were Martin and his wife Doris and they had a young son called Martin. Their job was looking after the pigs.
That must have been when the farmer was Mr Robbins - thete on 1939 register and selling up in 1949.
How lovely to hear from someone who remembers it.

i cant see a martin and doris together on the 39 jan however i see a doris tyas and son geoffrey aged 10 at school living at what looks like 18 aquaduct road just noticed there is another couple living there as well..i wonder if this is pats relatives if it is maybe martin was away doing war work

lyn

Last edited:
Their address is Aqueduct Road which is the other side of High Street from where the farm is.Also Pat says son called Martin
Would not call that address a cottage on the farm

Back