• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Benjamin Zephaniah

So very sorry to read this :( he was a great guy.

I have a couple of his poetry books and I went to a talk he gave at Keats House in Hampstead some years ago. He asked if there were any Brummies in the audience, to which I raised my hand!

RIP Benjamin, you won't be forgotten.

yes very sad indeed....on the bbc early news there was a shot of him talking in farm street which is where he lived as a boy...i didnt see this so not sure what year it was

lyn

Last edited:
Nice tribute at the end of BBC Question Time tonight by Fiona Bruce…BZ who appeared several times on the programme, was a tremendous bloke. RIP
BBC ran "A picture of Birmingham" by BZ after Question time. On catch up if you would like to see

Last edited:
Sad news. RIP Enjoy the start of his poem "Turkeys" - apt for the time of year.

Be nice to yu turkeys dis christmas
Cos' turkeys just wanna hav fugan from thege o
Turkeys are cool, turkeys are wicked
An every turkey has a Mum.
I met Benjamin many years ago at an event at our local library. He was incredible both as a poet and as a human being. The verse pjmburns quotes is part of a long and compassionate poem about the treatment of turkeys. Benjamin was a strong supporter and activist for animal welfafe and a long time vegan - something which is rarely mentionedf by the media and which was very important to him. I love his poetry - he will be missed.

Just seen details of an exhibition in Victoria Square celebrating the work of Benjamin Zephaniah. Hope to visit.

1720440674940.jpeg

An exhibition celebrating the life of poet and activist Benjamin Zephaniah has opened in his home city.
The outdoor exhibition "Benjamin Zephaniah - The Brighter Flame" can be seen in Birmingham's Victoria Square and Colmore Row until 31 July.
It features more than 20 artworks displayed in cabinets as part of the city’s "100 Days of Creativity" programme.
The poet, who was 65, died in December, eight weeks after he was diagnosed with a brain tumour. BBC News.

Back