• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Sutton Park

The closest Dog Lane is informed in Post 1706 by Lloyd at Bodymoor Heath. In 1893 there was a Dog Lane in Water Orton, and 1875 one in Acocks Green.

Last edited:
Also in the 1880s, moving N from The Cup Inn, and at the top of the Parade, and also A little S of the Gate Inn, was the Old Dog Inn. On the 1880s map it was on the opposite side of the road to The Dam.

Thanks everyone. I think this one will remain a mystery. The 'Dog in the Hole' which once stood at lower Parade was some way away from Wyndley Lane.

The Secretary of the History Group has spent some time on this this afternoon but has come to the conclusion that it is referring to Wyndley Lane and may have been referred to by locals as such. People had a habit of attaching nicknames to places didn't they?

Thanks everyone. I think this one will remain a mystery. The 'Dog in the Hole' which once stood at lower Parade was some way away from Wyndley Lane.

The Secretary of the History Group has spent some time on this this afternoon but has come to the conclusion that it is referring to Wyndley Lane and may have been referred to by locals as such. People had a habit of attaching nicknames to places didn't they?

Lady P, this then begs the question as to whether the Old Dog Inn became the Dog in the Hole around 1896 ?

(Further info…The Old Dog, when it changed hands in 1889, was said to be an old-established Inn)

Last edited:
Pedro, I'm pretty sure they are one in the same but when the pub changed names I really don't know at this stage. I will have a good look through all my records and see what I can find. Thanks for your input.

Back