• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Icknield Street

at last...i have sourced a photo of the elusive bundy clock...this photo is taken outside no 203 icknield st which is 2 down from tuppennys grandparents cafe which was at no 201...as thought in all the photos we have the bundy clock is obscured...phew thats that sorted...

photo courstesy of carl chinn who kindly sent me the photo

lynicknield st no 203.jpeg

What absolute legends. Amazing! Carl Chinn no less. My mum just told me that Carl's dad knew Sydneys parents Harry and Alice, so I wonder if Carl knew Sydney?

The lovely shops in the photo too. Was someone upthread saying they were sent to buy ladies unmentionables at a drapers? Was that the one?

Last edited:
What absolute legends. Amazing! Carl Chinn no less (faints away). I wonder if he knew Sydney?

Love the shops too. Was someone upthread saying they were sent to buy ladies unmentionables at a drapers? Was that the one?

carl was born in 1967 so i doubt he would have known sydney but i can ask him..

lyn

I just edited my post as you wrote, sorry.
Sydney tragically died suddenly at 54 in 1968 but Carl's parents might have known him.

@Astoness I think we may both be super sleuths - the shadowy Mr Bundy I marked in the photo without the bus in the way is in the exact spot as the bundy in Carl's photo - outside the house with the plaque high up on the wall, and the mark of where another plaque was removed.Bundy1?.jpg

@Astoness I think we may both be super sleuths - the shadowy Mr Bundy I marked in the photo without the bus in the way is in the exact spot as the bundy in Carl's photo - outside the house with the plaque high up on the wall, and the mark of where another plaque was removed.View attachment 192341

i would say not now and its such a poor distorted photo ..where is the bus stop in carls photo...bus stops very rarely moved and my friend said after clocking in the bus drivers had to run up a few yards to jump into the bus and drive on so as not to waste time so the bundy was a few yards down on the right of the bus stop...i am just happy to have what could be the only clear photo of that bundy clock...its a good result and alas some things although possible we can just never be certain of

could i have a kellys look up please to see if this cafe on the corner of icknield and hingeston was ever a pub..someone has asked me the question

thanks

lyn

vulcano snack bar icknield st.jpeg

re my post 489 photo 5...from memory i think the building with the pointed roof would be the gate pub...think ive got a photo of it somewhere with the top and spire removed..

lyn

at last...i have sourced a photo of the elusive bundy clock...this photo is taken outside no 203 icknield st which is 2 down from tuppennys grandparents cafe which was at no 201...as thought in all the photos we have the bundy clock is obscured...phew thats that sorted...

photo courstesy of carl chinn who kindly sent me the photo

lynView attachment 192322
Opposite the mint was a ladies shop, and the bosses wife would send me there to get "ladies Things" for her i hated that and once she sent me to get her a bra!!!! just further down from the shop was the number 8 bus stop with its Bundy clock,where i caught the bus to Aston Cross.
Maxwell was a guest in 2010 so probably won't see this though :( Perhaps better not to relive the trauma...

and another one taken looking towards hockley we can see the railway bridge with the railway buildings above...the old bridge and tunnel was was demolished but as a child walking under it used to scare the hell out of me..it was so dark..damp and erie

9DAA1567-09F1-4142-900A-ADE08421076F.jpeg

and another one taken looking towards hockley we can see the railway bridge with the railway buildings above...the old bridge and tunnel was was demolished but as a child walking under it used to scare the hell out of me..it was so dark..damp and eri
and another one taken looking towards hockley we can see the railway bridge with the railway buildings above...the old bridge and tunnel was was demolished but as a child walking under it used to scare the hell out of me..it was so dark..damp and erie

View attachment 192358

That bridge was fun. It seemed to be about one inch higher than the bus. When I was a kid on my Sunday round trip on the inner circle I would try to sit upstairs at the front to get the thrill of entering it.

carl was born in 1967 so i doubt he would have known sydney but i can ask him..

lyn
Yes please do ask him if he remembers any Tibbattses. Mum says Dad remembered Carl's parents coming round to Oldknow Road when he was a kid. Bookmaking connections I'm guessing: Alice used to run a book for the whole neighbourhood from a biscuit tin in her kitchen :laughing:, which, when it became legal, Sydney turned into a legit betting shop in Small Heath (why he closed the cafe).

Back