• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Seventy-five Years Ago Today....(and eventually Eighty!)

Still Thursday, 16th August 1945, later.

Well, that was a REAL party! Never been to anything like if before. It was in the open air, for a start. And in an orchard! Any children's party I have ever been to before has been in a hall - like the Home Guard Christmas parties - or in somebody's home where if you are lucky and the weather is OK you can sometimes go out and play in their garden, before tea. Football, provided you are careful with the flower borders. Or tick, or Hide and Seek. But all this was very, very different.

I'll tell you where it was. The very first picture I showed you of the cottage was taken from down the road. This one is as well. It's not very clear but you can see it's been taken from by a gateway, on the opposite side of the lane. You can just about see the gate, on the right-hand edge, if you look carefully enough.

BeesonFromGate.jpg

If you go through that gate it leads into a field and orchard, behind all the cottage gardens. And that's where the party happened.

There was a long table with chairs down each side. I know they sometimes say in books that a table is groaning with food. I've never heard a table groan. And I didn't hear this one, either. But if it could have groaned, it probably would! It was absolutely loaded with food. Everything. Sandwiches of cucumber and crab and cheese and tomato and jam. Cakes. Jam tarts. Scones with raspberry jam and Devonshire cream. Lemonade. We sat down on the chairs and tucked in. And ate and ate. The grown-ups stood around and watched us. They looked just as pleased and happy as we were. And yet they weren't eating, themselves. Grown-ups are funny people.

We did our very best but in the end we were just too full to eat any more. We were happy to hand the rest of the grub over to the local wasps which were getting busier and busier. Then the grown-ups started to organise games for us. I'll just tell you about one because I have never played a game like it before. The idea was that you sat on one of the chairs which were arranged in a long line, you were given a very dry cream cracker and were told that once you had chewed and swallowed it completely, you had to run to the hedge at the far end of the orchard and then run back again to a finishing line. Ready, get set, go! We were so full already but we munched and munched. There came a point when I decided that I had, just about, followed the rules sufficiently and I got up, ran as fast as I could to the far end and back again. Across the line. A clear winner. Congratulations all round. I was very pleased. I don't often win running races.

But then, to my great shock, one of my fellow competitors, who I had soundly beaten, stood in front of one of the grown-ups judging the race, pointed at me and shouted:

"He's still chewing!"

I should have been insulted by this. Very rude and rotten sportsmanship, really. It's the sort of thing which makes grown-ups usually say: "Pick yourself up, forget your disappointment, be a good sport and just get on with it". But I wasn't cross with him, to be honest. It was more that I was feeling a bit uncomfortable. I could feel a few bits still in my mouth and I was having difficulty in stopping myself moving my jaw to deal with them. They were only very tiny bits, really. I put on a blank expression and awaited events.

But whether or not the lad's sportsmanship was not very good, what was certain was that his judgement was terrible. The person he had chosen to make his complaint to was - my dad. I don't know what was said but it was probably "forget your disappointment, be a good sport and just get on with it". He seemed willing to do that. A bit reluctantly, perhaps. But then he and the rest of us got on with the next game. While I got rid of the final bits of cream cracker. It didn't take me too long to stop feeling a tiny bit guilty about it. And it certainly didn't spoil the rest of the party for me. You get over these things.

And so, after a few more games and grabbing a final slab of cake, we helped this tiny village bring its celebrations to an end. The second day of the V-J Day holiday is now just about over and, with it, the Second World War. And, for me, History is now over, as well. Nothing REALLY important is ever going to happen again, probably for as long as I live.

There is a future, of course, but it will be nothing like the times we have lived through - and especially our parents and aunts and uncles and grandparents. And our elder brothers and sisters, if we have them. It's been much harder for them than for me. At the moment, the future for me is another day's holiday and then, on Saturday morning, back into the car, the long, long drive north, back towards Birmingham, a couple of weeks more school holiday and then back to school for all the usual stuff, day in, day out. The same for Dad and Mum, I suppose. It's enough to make you feel a bit flat and fed up.

But then, when I think about it, I've got friends at home. It will be nice to see my sister again. My brother might be coming home on leave and I haven't seen him for nearly two-and-a-half years, ever since we waved him good-bye as he walked down our front drive in Streetly in March 1943 (on his way to North Africa although we didn't know it then). I've got toys and books and a bike and other stuff at home which I shall enjoy again as well. The journey home won't be as exciting as the one we did to get here. But it will still be very interesting and I am looking forward to it. And Dad and Mum say they want to come back here next summer. Yippee!

And I still have another full day here. I think Mary will be taking me on her errand tomorrow. We'll set out over the fields with her carrying a little basket covered in a cloth. It's probably full of food for her grandma and grandpa. Pastry her mother has baked, vegetables from the garden. We'll go through farm gates and over stiles, on dusty paths down the side of cornfields, over pastures full of cows. And perhaps, just once, up a cart track which is hardly ever used. Where the earth hedges on each side of it stretch right up over our heads and then the trees on top join up over us so that we are walking up a dark, green tunnel. Just a few spots of sunlight will shine through the leaves to light it up. And then finally, we'll emerge into the sunshine, right in the middle of nowhere, to a warm welcome from the old people as they usher us into the cool of their little cottage. There'll be a glass of lemonade and a slice of cake at their kitchen table for each of us. And chat and laughter.

So, even though History HAS finished - which it certainly has - and all we have to look forward to is The Future, perhaps it will still be interesting and fun. Even if it's not very important any more.

So, as I and everyone else wait for The Future to start, tomorrow, I'll just say, from my nine-year-old self:

Cheerio, everyone, and good luck!

CM.jpg

Chris

Wonderful writing Chris, you really have a gift. I honestly think your diary is as good if not better than a lot of books I've read, I'm disappointed when I get to the end! Have you ever had anything published?
Lynn.

Thank you for this interesting piece about a fairly chunky section of your life, especially when you’re 9!

If my maths is right, there are about twelve years between us, and I have to say that I would offer to you my further thanks for having lived those twelve years instead of me. At nine in 1945 you had, I think, possibly a small appreciation of life before the war took a real bite out of its good bits and your in-built positivity shines through. At five in 1953, when I started school, my main memory is of getting a 12 inch black and white Pye telly to watch the Coronation, and being bored stiff for most of that day.

I’m sure you must have had worse days during the war.

All the best

Thanks for your generous comments Lynn and John. And thanks also to those who have bothered to wade through this stuff, or at least dip into it, over the last two and a half years. No, Lynn, nothing commercially published, it's just been a bit of fun.

Well, perhaps a little more than that – I think that if you have an interest in social history, you have a bit of an obligation to add to it if you can. And I find it interesting when you can associate specific personal memories with actual dates and what was happening in the outside world at the very moment when you were thinking or doing something or other. Especially in significant times. If you can jot these things down in as much detail and as honestly as you can, perhaps the grandkids will appreciate it , one of these days!

How I wish that my gt. gt. grandfather (who ran a pub in the 1830s in central Birmingham), or my gt. grandfather (who went out to the Californian Gold Rush and returned after eight years but not with a fortune) or my grandfather (who spent time in Florida in a railroad-building gang) - how I wish that they had left something similar behind. Or my father, about his childhood in Edwardian Birmingham and at King Edward's and then his time in the trenches. Just the day-to-day stuff. Apparently of no interest or value at the time, but later, gold dust!

But my dad did leave behind a wonderful description of his Home Guard platoon in Streetly and Little Aston between 1940 and 1943 (online) and my brother a description of what he saw and what he did and what he felt while he was in North Africa, Sicily, Italy and Austria in 1942-46. They remain treasures within the family.

We've all got worthwhile memories. It's just a question of making the effort to get them onto paper! Forum members would quite like to read them as well!

Chris

Last edited:
Thanks for your generous comments Lynn and John. And thanks also to those who have bothered to wade through this stuff, or at least dip into it, over the last two and a half years. No, Lynn, nothing commercially published, it's just been a bit of fun.

Well, perhaps a little more than that – I think that if you have an interest in social history, you have a bit of an obligation to add to it if you can. And I find it interesting when you can associate specific personal memories with actual dates and what was happening in the outside world at the very moment when you were thinking or doing something or other. Especially in significant times. If you can jot these things down in as much detail and as honestly as you can, perhaps the grandkids will appreciate it , one of these days!

How I wish that my gt. gt. grandfather (who ran a pub in the 1830s in central Birmingham), or my gt. grandfather (who went out to the Californian Gold Rush and returned after eight years but not with a fortune) or my grandfather (who spent time in Florida in a railroad-building gang) - how I wish that they had left something similar behind. Or my father, about his childhood in Edwardian Birmingham and at King Edward's and then his time in the trenches. Just the day-to-day stuff. Apparently of no interest or value at the time, but later, gold dust!

But my dad did leave behind a wonderful description of his Home Guard platoon in Streetly and Little Aston between 1940 and 1943 (online) and my brother a description of what he saw and what he did and what he felt while he was in North Africa, Sicily, Italy and Austria in 1942-46. They remain treasures within the family.

We've all got worthwhile memories. It's just a question of making the effort to get them onto paper! Forum members would quite like to read them as well!

Chris

Yes we all have memories Chris but for a lot of us it's difficult to put them into words. You have a wonderful gift of bringing the past to life which is more than just dates and events. As I said before your diary is better than a lot of books I've read. I feel as if I know you (as a little boy at least! ) and your family through your very descriptive and amusing writing and I'm sure a lot of other members feel the same. It must be very time consuming for you to do but I'm just hoping there's more to come at some point... no pressure of course...
Thanks for keeping us very amused Chris!
Lynn.

Chris
Chris, thank you for all of this........I did not serve and my father was in the Home Guard plus my relationship with him was virtually non existent.

As I get older I find I want to try to explain my history, 77 years. One of the things I get from the Forum is to relive some of that history and my life! What you have done is to bring a difficult time into perspective at least for me. Truly I get 2+2 coming out to be much more than 4 where the sum or the whole is far greater than the individual pieces!
The photos posted are much more emotional that I would admit. Last week lyn posted a picture of the house where I was born and a listing of my my mother, aunts and uncles. that was a big deal. oldMohawk & Perdos etc., and all photos are wonderful. RR, Mr Bus as I call him has taught me more about buses than I dreamed. And Pete turned me on to YouTube and steam trains where I spent two hours bring back memories of Snow Hill station.
I go started on steel in Birmingham because of a posting, I am a student and fan of the Industrial Revolution, my problem is knowing where to start and where to end up.
Thank you all, I do my history everyday at the Forum! Sorry for rambling...........

(Reposted, as it looks as though yesterday's attempt has been permanently lost due to Forum technical problems).

This is another year of significant anniversaries, life having trundled on for a further five years. Now it's all 80 years ago!

Since last posting in this thread and over the last couple of years, I've been putting my own childhood memories into some sort of better order, for the ?benefit? of future family generations and those interested in Streetly local history. This has involved using some of the stuff I've previously posted here, but in that case rewriting/improving/illustrating it better and presenting it in stand-alone articles. We are now approaching D-Day and at the right time I'll provide a link here to the latest one, in case anyone is interested in reading it.

Chris

Come to think of it, what about 75 years ago today? (Not quite so easy, I find, because there are no critical dates to pin everything to).

75 years ago today was June 2nd 1949, a Thursday. I was 13. And I'd been at Bishop Vesey's Grammar School for nearly 5 years. During that time I'd had English grammar hammered into me through a cloud of our English master's beery breath, and mathematical concepts similarly, but through a fog of sarcasm and impatience. I have to say the beery breath was less obstructive than the sarcasm. Possibly more to do with the recipient's brain than the style of teaching; but it is useful to have something or someone to blame. Anyway, my sentences became grammatically more complicated (and therefore probably more difficult to understand and that's called progress). So, how did I see the world at that time?

Thursday June 2nd 1949

I am the senior male in our household at the moment. Dad is away on business, in Australia and New Zealand. My brother got married a couple of months ago and my sister moved out, for similar reasons, in July of last year. Dad left in early April, a few days after the wedding: either the wedding was brought forward or the departure date put back so that he could do both things – I can't remember which. You can, just about, fly to Australia now but it's a dreadful pain with lots of stops and Dad decided he preferred the normal way which is by one of the steamships, from Tilbury to Port Said and Colombo and eventually one of the Australian ports. The problem is, it takes a long time, weeks, and it lengthens the time away from home a heck of a lot. He won't be back until August. Out by Orient Lines, the SS Orontes, and he'll be coming home with the help of Shaw Savill, in the Dominion Monarch.

So I'm supposed to be supporting Mum in every way I can. I suppose the best thing I can do is avoiding anything which makes life more difficult for her. When I think about it, I'm a bit uncomfortable about all that. I don't really do very much. She doesn't object if I go off in the evening to practice in the nets at Streetly Cricket Club and I have to admit that I would far rather be doing that than hoeing around the cabbages. She's been spending quite a bit of time in High Street in Harborne where her father has been living and and hasn't been very well. But he died a few days ago and I suppose she is having to do all the sorting out. I found out by asking her one morning how Grandad was and she replied, ever so gently so that I wouldn't be upset: "I'm afraid the old gentleman passed away last night". I really ought to be realising just how sad she probably is but I'm afraid that I'm not very good at that sort of thing. I think I shall really have to concentrate a bit more on thinking about other people, rather than myself. About how I would feel if my own dad had died.

I imagine Dad wasn't too unhappy about leaving the country for a while. I expect the history books will say that we have been going through a dreadful time since the end of the war. I only notice bits of it but, just as in wartime, it seems the normal way of things and nothing out of the ordinary. Mr Attlee's government has been in power since 1945 and everybody constantly moans about them all, Mr Bevan, Mr Shinwell, Sir Stafford Cripps, Mr Bevin, Mr Morrison, Mr. Dalton, Bessy Braddock...... We have still got rationing and in some cases it has been worse even than in wartime. But at least, last year they took bread off the ration and this year clothes rationing has ended. And this year as well they have doubled the petrol ration from 90 miles a month to 180. That means that Dad wouldn't have needed to be so careful with his coupons if he was taking the car to Devon. (They put red dye in petrol for lorries and farm tractors and so on - and heaven help you if they find red petrol in your car. I have seen them doing spot checks in a car park - putting a stick with a bit of material on the end into people's fuel tanks and then checking it as it re-emerges). A lot of food is still on the ration. And THAT includes chocolate and sweets, of course!

The Government controls everything, it's all paperwork and permits and coupons and officials with too much power, just like wartime. Or so Dad says. It has even got to me – I remember going up to the woodwork teacher at BVGS to seek permission to work on a particular project one day: "Please, sir, may I have a permit to make.....". I felt even at the time that it sounded a little pompous but he had the good manners not to laugh at me.

It's very difficult to get a lot of the things you want and even then, many people can't afford many of them because of the prices. My sister and her new husband astonished everybody by not only getting hold of a new fridge but also paying £118 for it! (In 75 years time that'll be the same as about £3500!!) Stuff like furniture and clothes are still made to the wartime austerity standards and have a funny label on them. Dad rebuilt some "utility" dining chairs for Sheila to make them look a lot better. And was busy in the garage for weeks, on and off, making stuff for her and for Graham - a dresser, a sideboard and other things. Beautiful stuff and they look like antiques. All with his old pre-war hand tools and with the gluepot contantly steaming on the gas stove, making a horrible smell. He used an old wooden bedhead for materials, pieces of a cedar packing case from work and various chunks of oak from I don't know where.

Almost EVERYTHING goes for export because we've run out of money. So spivs and racketeers have a wonderful time. In the car trade, dealers supply the cars to their mates who then resell them at anything up to double the book price. The only people who can get a new car seem to be people in the trade and doctors. And of course, this affects the price of second-hand cars as well. Dad says that before the war you could buy an old car for about £5. He fumes over this, especially as his own 1940 Ford Prefect is falling to bits after nearly 10 years of salty Birmingham roads. Shortages affect everything. The other day a friend and I found out that a consignment of Dinky Toys had arrived at a shop somewhere around Barr Beacon. Off we went on our bikes with our saved up pocket money and got there just in time ..... We have still been getting food parcels from friends in America. All sorts of treats in them, like tinned fruit and Spam and sweets in coloured wrappers. One of the first things that Dad did when he landed in Australia was to go to a shop and order a tin filled with boxes of chocolate, to be sent home to us. What a thrill that was when it arrived. The interesting thing was that it had obviously travelled through some very hot weather in a ship's hold and all the chocolates were faded with a sort of powdery white dust over them. Still tasted jolly good, though!

The other thing about life at the moment is of course the Russians. I do worry that they are going to drop an atom bomb on us. You read in the paper how difficult life is in the countries they control – Poland, Czechoslovakia, Romania and all the rest. It sounds dreadful. And it makes us think of Stalin as another Hitler. Dear old Uncle Joe, as we used to think of him during the war. It turns out he is another very nasty man. A year or two back I was sitting in the barber's on the Chester Road in Streetly, waiting for my turn. The barber was talking to the bloke whose hair he was cutting and they were discussing international affairs. One of them said "Of course, in 1945 we shouldn't have stopped, we should have just carried on to Moscow". Blimey - that shocked even me a bit!

I suppose some things are truly better now. For example, you can go to the doctors or the dentists and not have to worry about paying. And my schooling at BVGS is absolutely free. All this must make a huge difference to the lives of so many people. And so much better than before the war. But a lot of people think that all the American money we used to get should have been used more to re-equip our factories, just like the Germans have done, rather than spending most of it in the way the government has. And now the American money has dried up anyway. It's all been borrowed and will have to be paid back. Goodness knows how long that is going to take - long after I have grown up, I should think!

So I think most grown-ups feel they are living through a pretty rotten time with not a lot going right. But everyone can get jobs because all the factories are busy making things for export. So that isn't a problem like it was before the war. It's just that people can't spend their wages on the stuff they would like to buy. And it doesn't help when people who have been abroad, to France and such places, come home and tell us what is in the shops. Even in our family - as early as the first year after the end of the war, when my brother was still in Italy, stationed in Milan by then. I can still remember the delight when a parcel arrived from him - it contained a couple of folding umbrellas for Mum and my sister. Both of them were thrilled and overjoyed - they had never seen anything like that before and, not only were the brollies wholly novel, but also they were there and AVAILABLE! Things like that prompt the bitter comment you hear the whole time: "I thought WE had won the war!!!"

Everybody - or at least a lot of people - seem to want Mr. Churchill back because they feel that, then, everything will be OK again. I wonder if he will win an election eventually and if he will put everything right. We are due one next year.

........ continued in next post..........

........ continued from previous post........

In these years following the end of the war, Dad has been able to do again what he has tried to do ever since he got married and my brother was born in 1922 - give his family a nice summer holiday. We go to Devon for two weeks at the the end of July in the old Ford Prefect. (I've told you before about our first post-war holiday, when they were dropping atomic bombs on Japan, and we stayed at a farm cottage). We went there again in 1946, 1947 and last year, 1948. He must have stored up his petrol coupons. The journey from Streetly takes all day, from early morning to evening, and we have to go through the middle of every town on the way, from Birmingham onwards - Droitwich, Bromsgrove, Worcester, Tewkesbury, Gloucester, Bristol, Bridgwater, Taunton, Newton Abbot, Totnes. Just not Exeter - that has a bypass. But after getting through the middle of Birmingham, then it's off down the Bristol Road and we feel the holiday is really starting.

It's very hard work for Dad. He always dresses properly when he's travelling and so wears a stiff collar. The trouble is, after tilting his head back for hours as he looks out of the bottom of his glasses, the back of his neck gets red and sore and Mum has to rub something on it. I enjoy the journey - there is always something to see. And challenges to be met - there is one hill in Devon we have to climb and there's always a sigh of relief when we get to the top. Of course we are overtaken by the modern, swankier cars - Armstrong-Siddeleys, Standard Vanguards, Triumphs - but most people are in cars like ours, pre-war and looking a bit ancient. I remember watching, out of the back window, a little, boxy Austin Seven, bowling along behind us in the sunshine. It was driven by a young woman and she had her friend with her, the latter sometimes standing up in the passenger seat, her head out through the sunroof and long hair flowing in the wind. Quite happy-go-lucky. In fact, too much so. When we got into the middle of Newton Abbot, Dad had to brake suddenly. The lady driver had to do so as well, but she didn't do it quickly enough - and bang, straight into our luggage which was perched on the open boot-lid. I looked out of the back window and saw the temperature gauge from her radiator cap had broken off and plonked onto the top of the old Home Guard groundsheet which covered all our stuff. Much muttering from Dad, a polite but cool exchange of addresses and we drove off, leaving the young women to sort out their broken radiator and the rest of their own journey. I felt a bit sorry for them. But we had our own challenges, not least a boot lid which never shut again properly and still doesn't.

Prefect-1947.jpg

No such excitement this year, though, and we shan't see the A38. Dad is on the other side of the world, the car is in the garage with its bent boot lid and Mum has booked a couple of weeks for both of us in a B&B in Salcombe. So it will be the crowded platforms of New Street or Snow Hill - don't like that bit very much, too much jostling as everyone fights to get on the the train at the same time - various changes on the journey and all sorts of interesting things to see. I'm going to take my cricket bat and stumps, of course, but I'm not quite sure yet how we are going to get these into a case. My sister Sheila and her husband will be going some of the way with us – they have booked a holiday at Bigbury-on-Sea - and probably Peter will give us a hand with the luggage.

At home, on the horizon, I can see out of our back windows the new Sutton Coldfield TV transmitter growing taller and taller every day. It gleams silver in the sunshine. I saw television for the first time last year, in London, in a shop. In fact, it's the only time I have seen it. Dad took us there for a couple of days. Not quite what I expected. I thought it would be in colour. It wasn't. A sort of bluey-grey instead. But quite incredible, even so. You can only see television in London at the moment. But it's coming to us and they say the new transmitter will be working in December. Dad has said that he'll probably buy a set.

A holiday near the sea and, after that, no school for weeks and Dad coming home and eventually television - there's ALWAYS something to look forward to, isn't there? If you are lucky enough, anyway.

Chris

could i suggest that members who are interested take time out to read this thread from post 1..it is just like reading a book..

chris your memory is second to none..your enthusiasm is boundless but most of all you were there and you are happy to share your memories and family photos....

brilliant job...thank you

lyn

........ continued from previous post........

In these years following the end of the war, Dad has been able to do again what he has tried to do ever since he got married and my brother was born in 1922 - give his family a nice summer holiday. We go to Devon for two weeks at the the end of July in the old Ford Prefect. (I've told you before about our first post-war holiday, when they were dropping atomic bombs on Japan, and we stayed at a farm cottage). We went there again in 1946, 1947 and last year, 1948. He must have stored up his petrol coupons. The journey from Streetly takes all day, from early morning to evening, and we have to go through the middle of every town on the way, from Birmingham onwards - Droitwich, Bromsgrove, Worcester, Tewkesbury, Gloucester, Bristol, Bridgwater, Taunton, Newton Abbot, Totnes. Just not Exeter - that has a bypass. But after getting through the middle of Birmingham, then it's off down the Bristol Road and we feel the holiday is really starting.

It's very hard work for Dad. He always dresses properly when he's travelling and so wears a stiff collar. The trouble is, after tilting his head back for hours as he looks out of the bottom of his glasses, the back of his neck gets red and sore and Mum has to rub something on it. I enjoy the journey - there is always something to see. And challenges to be met - there is one hill in Devon we have to climb and there's always a sigh of relief when we get to the top. Of course we are overtaken by the modern, swankier cars - Armstrong-Siddeleys, Standard Vanguards, Triumphs - but most people are in cars like ours, pre-war and looking a bit ancient. I remember watching, out of the back window, a little, boxy Austin Seven, bowling along behind us in the sunshine. It was driven by a young woman and she had her friend with her, the latter sometimes standing up in the passenger seat, her head out through the sunroof and long hair flowing in the wind. Quite happy-go-lucky. In fact, too much so. When we got into the middle of Newton Abbot, Dad had to brake suddenly. The lady driver had to do so as well, but she didn't do it quickly enough - and bang, straight into our luggage which was perched on the open boot-lid. I looked out of the back window and saw the temperature gauge from her radiator cap had broken off and plonked onto the top of the old Home Guard groundsheet which covered all our stuff. Much muttering from Dad, a polite but cool exchange of addresses and we drove off, leaving the young women to sort out their broken radiator and the rest of their own journey. I felt a bit sorry for them. But we had our own challenges, not least a boot lid which never shut again properly and still doesn't.

View attachment 192069

No such excitement this year, though, and we shan't see the A38. Dad is on the other side of the world, the car is in the garage with its bent boot lid and Mum has booked a couple of weeks for both of us in a B&B in Salcombe. So it will be the crowded platforms of New Street or Snow Hill - don't like that bit very much, too much jostling as everyone fights to get on the the train at the same time - various changes on the journey and all sorts of interesting things to see. I'm going to take my cricket bat and stumps, of course, but I'm not quite sure yet how we are going to get these into a case. My sister Sheila and her husband will be going some of the way with us – they have booked a holiday at Bigbury-on-Sea - and probably Peter will give us a hand with the luggage.

At home, on the horizon, I can see out of our back windows the new Sutton Coldfield TV transmitter growing taller and taller every day. It gleams silver in the sunshine. I saw television for the first time last year, in London, in a shop. In fact, it's the only time I have seen it. Dad took us there for a couple of days. Not quite what I expected. I thought it would be in colour. It wasn't. A sort of bluey-grey instead. But quite incredible, even so. You can only see television in London at the moment. But it's coming to us and they say the new transmitter will be working in December. Dad has said that he'll probably buy a set.

A holiday near the sea and, after that, no school for weeks and Dad coming home and eventually television - there's ALWAYS something to look forward to, isn't there? If you are lucky enough, anyway.

Chris
Very well articulated Chris, we all need to believe there is something to look forward to. I for one pray to that every day! Thank you for relating your experiences and family journey to Devon!

Come to think of it, what about 75 years ago today? (Not quite so easy, I find, because there are no critical dates to pin everything to).

75 years ago today was June 2nd 1949, a Thursday. I was 13. And I'd been at Bishop Vesey's Grammar School for nearly 5 years. During that time I'd had English grammar hammered into me through a cloud of our English master's beery breath, and mathematical concepts similarly, but through a fog of sarcasm and impatience. I have to say the beery breath was less obstructive than the sarcasm. Possibly more to do with the recipient's brain than the style of teaching; but it is useful to have something or someone to blame. Anyway, my sentences became grammatically more complicated (and therefore probably more difficult to understand and that's called progress). So, how did I see the world at that time?

Thursday June 2nd 1949

I am the senior male in our household at the moment. Dad is away on business, in Australia and New Zealand. My brother got married a couple of months ago and my sister moved out, for similar reasons, in July of last year. Dad left in early April, a few days after the wedding: either the wedding was brought forward or the departure date put back so that he could do both things – I can't remember which. You can, just about, fly to Australia now but it's a dreadful pain with lots of stops and Dad decided he preferred the normal way which is by one of the steamships, from Tilbury to Port Said and Colombo and eventually one of the Australian ports. The problem is, it takes a long time, weeks, and it lengthens the time away from home a heck of a lot. He won't be back until August. Out by Orient Lines, the SS Orontes, and he'll be coming home with the help of Shaw Savill, in the Dominion Monarch.

So I'm supposed to be supporting Mum in every way I can. I suppose the best thing I can do is avoiding anything which makes life more difficult for her. When I think about it, I'm a bit uncomfortable about all that. I don't really do very much. She doesn't object if I go off in the evening to practice in the nets at Streetly Cricket Club and I have to admit that I would far rather be doing that than hoeing around the cabbages. She's been spending quite a bit of time in High Street in Harborne where her father has been living and and hasn't been very well. But he died a few days ago and I suppose she is having to do all the sorting out. I found out by asking her one morning how Grandad was and she replied, ever so gently so that I wouldn't be upset: "I'm afraid the old gentleman passed away last night". I really ought to be realising just how sad she probably is but I'm afraid that I'm not very good at that sort of thing. I think I shall really have to concentrate a bit more on thinking about other people, rather than myself. About how I would feel if my own dad had died.

I imagine Dad wasn't too unhappy about leaving the country for a while. I expect the history books will say that we have been going through a dreadful time since the end of the war. I only notice bits of it but, just as in wartime, it seems the normal way of things and nothing out of the ordinary. Mr Attlee's government has been in power since 1945 and everybody constantly moans about them all, Mr Bevan, Mr Shinwell, Sir Stafford Cripps, Mr Bevin, Mr Morrison, Mr. Dalton, Bessy Braddock...... We have still got rationing and in some cases it has been worse even than in wartime. But at least, last year they took bread off the ration and this year clothes rationing has ended. And this year as well they have doubled the petrol ration from 90 miles a month to 180. That means that Dad wouldn't have needed to be so careful with his coupons if he was taking the car to Devon. (They put red dye in petrol for lorries and farm tractors and so on - and heaven help you if they find red petrol in your car. I have seen them doing spot checks in a car park - putting a stick with a bit of material on the end into people's fuel tanks and then checking it as it re-emerges). A lot of food is still on the ration. And THAT includes chocolate and sweets, of course!

The Government controls everything, it's all paperwork and permits and coupons and officials with too much power, just like wartime. Or so Dad says. It has even got to me – I remember going up to the woodwork teacher at BVGS to seek permission to work on a particular project one day: "Please, sir, may I have a permit to make.....". I felt even at the time that it sounded a little pompous but he had the good manners not to laugh at me.

It's very difficult to get a lot of the things you want and even then, many people can't afford many of them because of the prices. My sister and her new husband astonished everybody by not only getting hold of a new fridge but also paying £118 for it! (In 75 years time that'll be the same as about £3500!!) Stuff like furniture and clothes are still made to the wartime austerity standards and have a funny label on them. Dad rebuilt some "utility" dining chairs for Sheila to make them look a lot better. And was busy in the garage for weeks, on and off, making stuff for her and for Graham - a dresser, a sideboard and other things. Beautiful stuff and they look like antiques. All with his old pre-war hand tools and with the gluepot contantly steaming on the gas stove, making a horrible smell. He used an old wooden bedhead for materials, pieces of a cedar packing case from work and various chunks of oak from I don't know where.

Almost EVERYTHING goes for export because we've run out of money. So spivs and racketeers have a wonderful time. In the car trade, dealers supply the cars to their mates who then resell them at anything up to double the book price. The only people who can get a new car seem to be people in the trade and doctors. And of course, this affects the price of second-hand cars as well. Dad says that before the war you could buy an old car for about £5. He fumes over this, especially as his own 1940 Ford Prefect is falling to bits after nearly 10 years of salty Birmingham roads. Shortages affect everything. The other day a friend and I found out that a consignment of Dinky Toys had arrived at a shop somewhere around Barr Beacon. Off we went on our bikes with our saved up pocket money and got there just in time ..... We have still been getting food parcels from friends in America. All sorts of treats in them, like tinned fruit and Spam and sweets in coloured wrappers. One of the first things that Dad did when he landed in Australia was to go to a shop and order a tin filled with boxes of chocolate, to be sent home to us. What a thrill that was when it arrived. The interesting thing was that it had obviously travelled through some very hot weather in a ship's hold and all the chocolates were faded with a sort of powdery white dust over them. Still tasted jolly good, though!

The other thing about life at the moment is of course the Russians. I do worry that they are going to drop an atom bomb on us. You read in the paper how difficult life is in the countries they control – Poland, Czechoslovakia, Romania and all the rest. It sounds dreadful. And it makes us think of Stalin as another Hitler. Dear old Uncle Joe, as we used to think of him during the war. It turns out he is another very nasty man. A year or two back I was sitting in the barber's on the Chester Road in Streetly, waiting for my turn. The barber was talking to the bloke whose hair he was cutting and they were discussing international affairs. One of them said "Of course, in 1945 we shouldn't have stopped, we should have just carried on to Moscow". Blimey - that shocked even me a bit!

I suppose some things are truly better now. For example, you can go to the doctors or the dentists and not have to worry about paying. And my schooling at BVGS is absolutely free. All this must make a huge difference to the lives of so many people. And so much better than before the war. But a lot of people think that all the American money we used to get should have been used more to re-equip our factories, just like the Germans have done, rather than spending most of it in the way the government has. And now the American money has dried up anyway. It's all been borrowed and will have to be paid back. Goodness knows how long that is going to take - long after I have grown up, I should think!

So I think most grown-ups feel they are living through a pretty rotten time with not a lot going right. But everyone can get jobs because all the factories are busy making things for export. So that isn't a problem like it was before the war. It's just that people can't spend their wages on the stuff they would like to buy. And it doesn't help when people who have been abroad, to France and such places, come home and tell us what is in the shops. Even in our family - as early as the first year after the end of the war, when my brother was still in Italy, stationed in Milan by then. I can still remember the delight when a parcel arrived from him - it contained a couple of folding umbrellas for Mum and my sister. Both of them were thrilled and overjoyed - they had never seen anything like that before and, not only were the brollies wholly novel, but also they were there and AVAILABLE! Things like that prompt the bitter comment you hear the whole time: "I thought WE had won the war!!!"

Everybody - or at least a lot of people - seem to want Mr. Churchill back because they feel that, then, everything will be OK again. I wonder if he will win an election eventually and if he will put everything right. We are due one next year.

........ continued in next post..........
So interesting to read your wonderful memories of those days. Thank you for sharing your experiences of everyday life. Makes it so much more real.

D-Day has happened! This is what I remember of it, viewed from the following day. And also a bit of the other things which were happening to me and family in those momentous weeks, 80 years ago.

Bits of this you might just remember from five years ago but it's been tidied up, expanded and illustrated - "Tintern, Normandy and Rome".

(It's quite safe to click on - even if Chrome mutters anything otherwise and tries to frighten you!)

.... And it's oldbrit's 11th birthday today, 7th June 1944 - Happy Birthday!

Chris

TinternGroup.jpg

Maildday2.jpg

25pounderItaly.jpg

D-Day has happened! This is what I remember of it, viewed from the following day. And also a bit of the other things which were happening to me and family in those momentous weeks, 80 years ago.

Bits of this you might just remember from five years ago but it's been tidied up, expanded and illustrated.

(It's quite safe to click on - even if Chrome mutters anything otherwise and tries to frighten you!)

Chris

View attachment 192158
Thank you for this. I just hope we could all together today against such an evil ideology!

A couple of short extracts from the full article which gives me the excuse of posting a photograph of my brother, Graham, from around that time - b. 1922 in Rubery, lived in Selly Oak, Erdington, Streetly and several hundred other places in Tunisia, Sicily, Italy and Austria up to November 1946.

Words of my eight-year-old self about news of D-Day:

........ If I have enough imagination, and I probably haven't, I can think of that Birmingham Mail being the way that a lot of people in Birmingham and around here found out about what was happening yesterday. Somebody at work will have passed on the news. Or they'll have picked up a paper on the way home. Possibly from the bloke in New Street by our bus stop who shouts something which sounds like "SpatcherMile". They'll be happy when they read the news in the Despatch or the Mail. And then, a moment later, they'll start to think "Oh, what about our Frank?" (Or our Ron or Jim or Arthur or Ted or Mike). Frank is away, somewhere - and somewhere in this country. No one knows exactly where at the moment, or what is he doing. Is he all part of this? Is he OK? When will we know?"
We don't have that worry about my brother.
He is in the 17th Field Regiment, Royal Artillery, part of the 78th Division. He is what will soon be known as a D-Day Dodger. (That's something called sarcasm).
We know he is safe in Italy, with all his mates and their big guns.....
.......... SAFE ???

And what's is my brother doing at this moment, "safely" in Italy? He can tell us:

......Towards evening, the town of Alatri was taken: our guns, still moving forward, had not reached this so orders were given for us to go back and rendezvous with them at a specified point, midway along the road back to Frosinone. The higher command had decided that the Division would remain in that area for a few days, whilst other formations maintained their thrust northwards. It was here that we learned of the fall of Rome on June 4th; this welcome news was soon overshadowed by that of the Normandy invasion two days later. As a diversion, I had been running a small sweepstake in the battery; the winner was to receive the kitty in exchange for having correctly forecast the date of the landings. Somebody duly won, I forget who it was, but I think that a few of them were surprised to find that I had safely retained all the stake money and was actually able to pay out on the nail!
On June 7th we were ordered to be on the move again: rumour had it that the destination was to be either Pisa or Florence, both to be taken within a fortnight, or so an optimistic general staff would have us believe! The following day, June 8th, we started off, first to Frosinone to rejoin Highway Six, on which we proceeded to its "source" in Rome itself. Valmontone appeared to have been severely devastated but by the time the outskirts of the capital were reached, were very few signs of damage to be seen.
Our passage through the centre of Rome was a moving experience, especially after all the weeks of "slog" to get there. There were huge crowds of Romans milling around and most of them seemed happy enough to have us there.
Continuing northwards we headed out of the city on a new axis, Highway Three (via Flaminia) to a point near San Oreste, some 40km or 25 miles due north of Rome. Here the German General Kesselring had established his HQ set in a large underground township, carved out from beneath a prominent hill. All seemed very quiet – perhaps suspiciously so. Next morning, June 9th, we were shaken to receive sudden orders to bring the guns into action immediately as a scare was on, due to the reported presence of armed raiding parties in the area, and we heard one of the Divisional Headquarters sites had been shelled overnight. As in the past, we were allocated a platoon of infantry for "local protection" and they duly arrived, dug themselves in all around us and set up Bren guns.........

And so today, June 8th, exactly 80 years ago and perhaps at this very moment, I shall think of Our Kid (as we always called each other), trundling through the middle of Rome with the rest of his Battery and their 25-pounder guns, sitting in the back of his truck and happily accepting flowers and glasses of Chianti from grateful Roman maidens while the rest of the smiling crowd shout out and wave handkerchieves. Unless of course the population has run run out of such things after three or four days of celebrating the departure of the Germans. I shall see him still, in my mind's eye, conscious of the historic moment he is living through in that most historic of cities for, even at his young age, he already has an interest in such things. And enjoying it too: at that moment at least, and even though his battles are no longer the first item on the BBC News, it's definitely all a lot nicer than being in Normandy......

And then, I imagine him an hour or two later, after all the excitement. The city suburbs have been left behind long ago. The crowds have disappeared. There's just the constant roar of the lorry's engine. An Austin or a Bedford or even a Dodge. In front of them and behind them, bigger vehicles each tow a 25-pounder. Some of the crew sit on top of these strange looking tractors, enjoying the fierce afternoon sun until it gets too much for them. Behind them their guns bounce and rattle over the broken-up surface...... The lorry trundles on, together with hundreds of others, through the long, hot afternoon. To the north. Ever onwards. Towards the front line and all the battles still to be fought. They all know there's a job still to be done, ahead. What would he give at that moment, I think to myself, for a lovely, quiet pint of bitter at the Hardwick Arms in Streetly with his Home Guard mates - including our father - and afterwards perhaps a game of solo or cribbage?

We must never forget any of them, in Normandy or Italy or the Far-East or wherever they were at that moment. Our grandfathers, fathers or uncles, or elder brothers, even.

Chris

GCM78thw350.jpg

25-pounder7.jpg

Back